Chapter 6

"What do you think of him?"

It wasn't often that Erwin asked for Levi's consul. Typically, if Levi had advice or complaints (it was usually complaints) he wouldn't hesitate to voice them. Today was different though. Erwin was doubting himself. However, Levi wasn't some lackey who was just there to praise Erwin. In fact, he rarely did.

"You saw that look in his eyes, right? He wants to kill. Right now, he wants to kill Titans, I think that's the truth, but for how long will he be satisfied with that?"

Erwin nodded, thinking over what Levi said.

"However, this is the greatest opportunity you have ever had, Erwin. He's a human that is also a Titan. There's so much risk with that fact, and it also proves that we know so little. But his very existence has given us something to go off of. Honestly, Erwin, why are you doubting yourself? This is your biggest break yet."

Erwin hesitated. "It's just... if he's a Titan, there is a good chance that there are other Titans in the Walls, Titans that look like people. Titans that don't have the same desire to help humanity as he does."

Levi looked up at him questioningly. "Then it's likely they're in the government or the military, somewhere where they can get information. Someone in a position to get close to people in power. Someone like me. Why would you tell me this, Commander?"

Erwin looked surprised at the sudden formalities, then smiled at Levi sadly. "Levi, if you're a Titan, we're all doomed."

~~~

Erwin slowly drifted back into consciousness, gradually becoming aware of his surroundings. He had been laid on something soft (a couch maybe?), and there were definitely people in the room, but no one was talking. Erwin was about to try to open his eyes when Zeke spoke.

"Levi, do you really hate me that much?"

"I have, quite literally, never hated anyone or anything more than I hate you. Not even Eren. Hell, I don't think I could hate that kid even though he betrayed me and killed way more people than you did. At least you didn't betray me, because you were never on my side from the start."

"I did betray you, though. Do you really not remember our nights together in the forest?"

"Do not phrase it like that."

A pause.

"I do remember. I never considered it a betrayal, though, because I kept hoping that you would turn on me so that Pixis and Hange would let me kill you."

"So you hate me, then," Zeke said, sounding almost childish.

"Eren told you that I lost the ability to walk after the last battle, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, one day I was fed up with not being able to walk, so I made Gabi and Falco take me to that forest that I kept you prisoner in so that I could use ODM gear. You know, just to be able to move for once."

Levi shifted, as if he wasn't sure he wanted to continue, but Zeke waited patiently.

"I ended up finding your glasses. They fell off, remember, when you turned thirty of my comrades into Titans and I stuck a bomb in you?"

"I remember. I wasn't fond of the bomb."

"It's your own fault for pulling the trigger."

"Yeah, I suppose it was."

"Anyways, I kept them."

Zeke audibly stiffened. "That's cruel. I didn't think you were the type to keep trophies, Levi."