Chapter 13

Erwin had regained enough strength to walk and do light activity, so he demanded that they go on their date that night. Levi wasn't about to protest.

Levi felt his heart skip a beat when Erwin showed up at his door that night, in his suit as promised. He wore his signature green bolo tie and he blushed lightly as he watched Levi silently scan his body. Levi wore a cravat and suddenly he looked just as Erwin remembered him. "Just like old times," Erwin half-whispered, and Levi nodded.

"Just like old times."

Erwin had gotten them reservations at a fancy restaurant a few miles from the school. Levi had heard of it but had never gone. Once they arrived, they were seated across from each other at a small table with a white tablecloth.

Levi had gone with Erwin to many meetings with the higher-ups in fancy places in Sina, but it had always made him slightly uncomfortable, like he was in the wrong place. This time, however, he had brought this on himself so he was determined to enjoy it.

"So," Erwin said once they were seated, "the basement?"

"Alright, alright," Levi said, unable to hide his amusement.

"So we found a few things. One of them was a photograph."

"A photograph?" Erwin asked in surprise.

"Yeah. A photograph is a-"

"I know what a photograph is, Levi."

"Oh. Right. Of course you do."

"Hello," A new voice greeted them, "may I take your order?" Levi looked up- way up- and made eye contact with their waitress.

"Yelena?!"

"Oh, Captain Levi!" She exclaimed. "It's been a while."

Levi nodded. "Yeah, it really has. You didn't visit much after the war."

She smiled. "Would you have wanted to see me?"

"Not particularly."

"I didn't think so."

Levi could feel Erwin's eyes on him so he turned to explain. "I met Yelena a little bit after you died. She's from, well, outside the walls."

Erwin raised his eyebrows. "Outside the walls? Was she trying to kill us?"

"Yeah," Levi said, offering no further explanation and Yelena huffed.

"You know that's not all there was to it. Zeke and I-"

"I don't want to hear shit about Zeke," Levi snarled and Yelena sighed.

"Let's just move on from that, okay? You're no longer an Eldian so there's nothing for us to fight over. I've already made my peace with Niccolo, so I don't see why we can't do the same."

"Wait, Niccolo? You found him?" Levi asked, his hostility suddenly gone and Yelena chuckled.

"Yeah, he's here right now. Why do you think this restaurant is so good?"

"I have to see him!" Levi exclaimed, and Erwin relished the moment- it wasn't often that Levi got this excited about something.

"Okay, okay, I'll call him out. Onyakapon is a waiter here too, should I grab him as well?"

Levi nodded vigorously and Yelena scoffed before walking away.

"An Eldian?" Erwin asked once she left and Levi scowled. Of course he picked up on that. Yelena was screwing up his perfectly organized story he was going to tell Erwin.