Chapter 4

"Levi, what the hell happened in our past life?" Erwin asked urgently once they were a good distance from Levi's sort-of-but-not-really-kids.

Levi sighed. He wasn't getting out of this one.

"As I said, it was shit. A lot of people died. We... we were at war."

Erwin processed this new information. "Did we serve in Vietnam or something?"

Levi shook his head. "It was some sort of alternate universe. I don't know how or why but I never want to go back."

"Do you wish you could forget too?" Erwin asked slowly.

"No, God no. I never want to forget that. If I forgot, what would all those deaths and suffering of my comrades equate to? Plus, it wasn't always bad, and there are people I don't want to forget."

"I see. You wouldn't want to forget Gabi, Falco, Hange, or Mike?" Erwin asked.

"You too. I don't want to forget you."

"You act like we were so close and yet your kids didn't recognize me. How does that add up?"

Levi looked at Erwin, wondering what to say, how to lie to him, but one look at Erwin's eyes told Levi he already knew.

"Yeah, what you're thinking is right. You died."

Erwin nodded. "Well, now you may as well tell me-"

"You died!" Levi cut him off, suddenly angry, and Erwin flinched. "You died, Erwin! And you know what? I could have saved you. But I didn't, because I didn't want you to have to suffer in that shit world a minute longer! Humanity suffered without you. I was miserable without you. But at least you could finally be at peace. So I'm sorry if I'm reluctant to take away that peace and be the well of information you were looking for!"

Levi stared ahead, angry, and stormed forward, only noticing that Erwin stopped when he was a few meters ahead of him. Erwin was slightly bent over, his hand over his eyes. Feeling guilty, Levi walked back over to him and placed his hand on Erwin's shoulder.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-- Erwin? Are you ok?"

"Ah, damn my head," Erwin replied, before stumbling over into Levi.

Levi tried to catch him, but Erwin was heavy and Levi was known for his speed, not his strength. The most he managed to do was soften Erwin's fall as they crashed to the ground. One quick look at the blonde told Levi he had completely blacked out.

~~~

"What is it, Levi?"

He had pressed his back to the door and was looking at the ground with a pained expression on his face. Usually, the Captain would mask his emotions perfectly, but alone with Erwin, he let his guard fall. Whatever conversation the man had planned was not going to be pleasant.

"It's a bit hasty, but... What will you do after retaking Wall Maria? I'd guess a defense plan comes first, but... After that?"

"Eliminating threats," I said immediately. "Outside the walls, there seems to be someone hoping we'll all be eaten. Of course, the answer to 'who' is in the basement, I imagine. It's as I said earlier. We'll plan that after the basement."

I hoped that would be a satisfying answer, but of course, for Levi, it was not.

"I'm asking this because you might not live that long," Levi said bluntly. He was right, of course, as he usually was. My chances for survival were now basically zero. "You can't exactly move like you used to," Levi added, echoing my thoughts as I touched where my right arm used to be. "Let Hange call the shots. You'll just be dead weight. Let the good news come to you. We'll tell the others I argued 'till you gave in. No... That's actually what I intend. Fine with that?"