Chapter 15

The person walked over us so I opened the door and climbed down. The door at the back opened up too and Kevin went that way. I stared at the same brown eyes I had and sighed. "Grandma."

She narrowed her eyes at me and gave me a pointed look. "Valarie."

"Do you have Zack?" I asked. Like as if I didn't know that she did have him.

"Yes. I have him." Grandma answered.

I sighed in relief but when I looked back again to the woman in front of me, I should be anything but relieved. She was extremely mad.

Coming out of the back of the truck, Kevin walked up to us. My grandmother, or the head chief rather, was looking at him sending messages that even the operative in me wouldn't understand. But I can see from the expression in Kevin's face that the message has been received well.

"Get in the van both of you." Was all she said and we didn't see any point to disobey her so we followed.

In the van, the atmosphere was very heavy. I knew she was extremely upset and one wrong word would ignite her anger.

Grandma caught her breath. Kevin stiffened along with me. She's going to start. "What were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry is not going to cut it!" She shouted.

I whimpered. My grandma, the sweetest she is, can be very scary and dangerous. I wasn't surprised when I learned she was the head of the CIA and I was just ten then. "You know why I did that."

Her lips formed into a thin line. "No. I don't."

She looked at me with an expression I cannot recognize and that scared me. I couldn't help it and looked down when I couldn't take her stare anymore.

During the whole ride, I kept in mind to keep my bleeding arm away from my grandmother's vision. It was hurting but I had worse so it was bearable. When we got to the agency in Alaska, we met with Zack sitting in the corner of the parking lot. My eyebrows shot up.

The men tensed around us. They greeted my grandmother. "Ma'am."

Her eyes narrowed. "What is that boy doing outside?"

Zack hearing the commotion lifted his head up and looked at us. I could sense relief washing all over his face when he saw me but when his head turned to my grandmother, his face turned in complete confusion.

"He was putting up a fight and didn't want to enter the building, you said to be careful, we couldn't do much." A bulky man answered as grandma looked away to talk to another agent.

I snorted. "Couldn't handle a mere civilian? A teenager at that?"

The man looked at me baffled. Clearly insulted by what I said. I shrugged and went to Zack. As I walked, the man moved to block my way. I rolled my eyes. "Really?"

"Identify yourself." He demanded.

Kevin snickered behind me. I sighed. "I don't have time, I'm really tired and about to be hanged pretty much very soon. Can't you move away?"

He didn't move away. I grunted and pushed him hard. I was harsh but I was tired. Sue me. His balance faltered and I went to Zack.

"Hey." I said to him.

"Hey." He answered.

"How are you?"

He shrugged. "They didn't hurt me so I guess fine."

"That's go-" I was interrupted mid-sentence by the bulky man pulling me harshly towards him.

"Seriously. Stop!" I hissed before slamming my hand on his chest.