Chapter 10

The van in front of us looked so menacing that it really made me want to cringe because of how cliché it was. But getting us out of there was my most important task at the moment so I pushed back the thought. I turned around and looked at the open-mouthed Kevin and Zack. Worry over their faces.

I spoke, "Kev, you might want to say goodbye to this baby."

His eyes almost fell out. "What? Val don't do it! Are you seriously out of your mind?"

"What choice do I have?" I looked at him somberly.

"Valarie, I am warning you. If we don't get killed, I'd kill you after."

"Will be waiting!" I shouted.

"Shit!" He groaned before sitting and leaning his whole body on the wall of the van.

Zack looked at us. "What's going on?"

I looked back in front and said, "Just hold on to something and hold on to it like as if your life depends on it."

His mouth dropped but he did hold onto something when he saw Kevin doing it frantically.

Then Kevin said when he was prepared, "Because your life will depend on it. Literally."

As he said that, I looked at the van in front us and looked at the men who were getting out of it. My eyes met one man who was getting closer. I smiled at him then pressed my foot on the gear and sped towards them. I heard Zack shout out my name before I literally bumped our van towards theirs.

It was like a slow-motion picture. I saw the side part of their van get crushed and pushed away by ours. The air bag in front of me blew up but I didn't stop and continued to press the gear hard when I saw their van out of the way. I sped up more than I could have ever done and left the site.

*

I parked the van at the side of the road when Kevin declared that he blocked the satellite tracker. I sighed in relief and climbed down. I went to the side of it and slowly slid down and sat.

Then the door of the van was thrown open. I jumped a little. Zack came out looking traumatized. I got worried, "Are you okay?"

He looked at me and gave an 'are you crazy' look. "You're asking me that? You almost got us killed!"

I was surprised when he shouted at me. I knew that he's completely confused and traumatized but I really didn't need it at the moment. I felt anger rose to my head and I didn't want to say something I'd regret so I kept silent.

But Kevin suddenly screamed my name as he climbed down the van. He was glaring at me, "You are seriously going to drive me crazy!"

I looked at his face and he was extremely mad. I flinched as he stood over me with his arms crossed. Standing up slowly, I tried to lessen the intimidating feeling he was showing.

We stood there for a while not saying anything. He was throwing daggers at me and I was fiddling with my fingers. After a few seconds he loosen his arms and sighed heavily. In one quick step, he came close and gave me a hug. "What am I going to do with you?"

I hid my face on his shoulders listening to the rhythm of his breathes trying to match my rapid ones with his calm intervals. Closing my eyes, I started counting in my head as I breathe and he was running his hand behind my back.

We stayed like that for a few more minutes. I felt so tired after all that happened. I just wanted to have some sleep. Zack was a little far off us. I did see him looking at us a few times but I decided to ignore him for the rest of the night.