Chapter 13

He raised both his hands like he had been caught. "You scared me."

"I scared you?" I asked incredulously. "You were the one sneaking up on someone. How long have you been there?"

His eyes shifted. I worried that he might have seen me but he said, "I just came now."

I sighed. "Next time do me a favor and make a sound or something."

He chuckled. "Shouldn't you be able to hear me with no sounds? You've been trained right?"

I rolled my eyes. "And which training center did you think I came from?"

I started walking towards the house again and he walked back with me. When we were halfway the house, Zack spoke. "What were you doing out there?"

"Nothing, just unwinding." I said.

When we were walking towards the house, Kevin was standing by the doorway looking at us. He was in an apparent frown. I looked at him in question but he didn't respond. As we reached the foyer, he moved away from the door and went directly to the bathroom. What's his problem.

As soon as we entered the house, I made my way towards the left hallway outside the kitchen without another word to Zack while he walked to the kitchen. I reached the farthest door and stopped in front of it. I touched the door knob to open the door but pulled away as if it was burning. I couldn't bring myself to open it.

I breathed continuously and paced throughout the left hallway. I walked back and forth in front of it, preparing myself to enter.

My steps must have been getting heavy that time because Zack popped his head out of the kitchen threshold and asked, "What are you doing?"

"Nothing!" I said answered, a little bit aggressive than I intended.

"Nothing? Are you sure? You're sweating." He said making a move to walk out the kitchen.

I raised my right hand. "Stop!"

He stopped. "What?"

"Don't come here. I'm fine." I said then hastily entered the room before changing my mind.

The smell of old furniture and beddings welcomed me as soon as I turned around. I took in my surrounding and like as if the fortress of self-defense I had built around me turned brittle and shattered, I broke down into tears. My heart shattering along with it.

It took me a while to calm down but when I did, with tears still running through my face, I climbed the bed, went under the covers and hugged myself. I wasn't sobbing as hard but I was weeping silently remembering the feeling when me and my parents were together on the same bed.

I remembered how when I woke up, I just found myself somewhere else and I was tucked in between my parents on the same bed. Then I rolled over my dad and shook his body.

"Daddy. Where are we?"

He popped one of his eyes open and smiled at me. "In wonderland baby."

My mouth dropped in excitement. "Really? Really?" Then I jumped off him and on to the bed and shook it.

Mom stirred and looked at me. "What got you going?"

I hugged her. "We're in wonderland mommy! In wonderland."

She laughed. "That's right baby."

"Then we should go. Let's go. Let's do something!" I said excitedly before climbing down the bed and running around the room.

My dad got up and scooped me up his arms then went to the door. He looked back to my mom and said, "Let's go sweetie, someone's excited."