lonely

*Devil*

I didn't need King getting involved with Mr.Harper. Something in me was genuinely worried, but King just seemed worried after I called him away from Harper. I sighed a bit. It's never fun being the bad guy... Mr.Harper gave me a glare and I rolled my eyes. That man had caused many of my performers discomfort, and I didn't need King running away either. Mr.Harper runs a bar, much smaller than my casino, and was always trying to get my workers to come work for him. He was a wealthy man, and did it on rare occasion, but it seemed he was interested in King. I looked over to see King serving Mr.Harper and they were talking, again. I sat at my personal table in the back, and King had stoppd by dropping off my usual drink. He kept looking to a list. I chuckled a bit. He really was taking this manager thing seriously.

"King." He looked to me as I spoke. "Put the list away and relax. Have fun. I need you on the floor to spot any cheats at my games, understood?" King nodded and smiled to me.

"Anything to help out sir." He put the list away and ran off. I noticed that the suit he had gotten really flattered his features. His bright green eyes and the purple hues of his suit worked together well to bring out his bright personality. I smiled a bit. He was a rather attractive gentleman, and I'd be lying if I said he wasn't lovely. I shook my head. There was a particular aura to him that made him feel almost angelic. I sighed. My mind kept wandering when I looked at this man. I didn't quite understand why. I looked to the deck of cards in my jacket pocket and pulled it out. I pulled out t he Ace of Hearts, the one that was King's soul, and one thing I noticed was unlike every other hearts card that was red, his was the only purple one. I nodded. Depending from person to person the cards can change to their personality's, but a color change was very rare. I sighed as I put the card away. Why did I care for this man so much? I watched as King spoke more with Mr.Harper. The thought did fill me with an uncomfortable feeling, but I didn't understand it all. I just didn't want King to end up hurt like many of the other performers who came here. 

*King*

Mr.Harper was a rather charming man. He and I spoke throughout the casino as I watched for any cheaters. As Mr.Harper rambled about old radios and microphone designs, I noticed a man with cards peaking out of his sleeve. I waltzed over calmly and grabbed his arm, the cards falling to the floor. People gasped around me as the man turned to me angrily. He went to punch me, but my instincts were faster as I pinned both arms behind his back. 

"Security!" Some playing card headed characters came over and threw the man out. I brushed off my shoulder and scanned over the people. "Now, let's keep our game's fair." I was stern as I spoke and went back to Mr.Harper. "Sorry sir, just doing my job." He laughed a bit and nodded.

"You are quite attentive to things King, how do you know this place so well?" I tried to think back as far as I could and remembered that someone did in fact abuse me... oh! Delicate Delicacy's was my business and I came here at night to escape my home life. I never remembered to much about it. 

"Well, I always came here during my breaks when I was a baker." Mr.Harper seemed a bit shocked.

"You baked before this?" I nodded and laughed a bit. 

 "Yes, I owned a service where I'd skate around delivering pastries and things. It wasn't the best but it paid the bills." He nodded to me.

"No, I just... wow, I would have never thought you'd come from that background." I blushed a bit. Most people picked up a bit of a Southern accent from me(Got it from The Root Pack), but... he was one of the few people who never mentioned it. Southern accents were pretty common in Isle 1. I smiled to him.

"Well, it's a path I'd rather forget." He nodded to me as I spoke. "So many bad memories that I can barely remember. I'm grateful for that." He looked to me confused. I shook my head. "It's complicated."

*Devil*

Watching the two talk was annoying to me to some level. I wasn't angry... but I sure as hell wasn't happy about it. Men like Harper are unpredictable... and to think people think he and I are the same. Though... I worry about King like I did... her. I sighed as I went to my office to relax. I think the stress recently is getting to me. I sat in my chair and smoked, and looked over to a picture of Eliza and I when we were still married. 

You were the biggest mistake of my eternal damnation!

Everyone thought I was some abusive jerk... I struggled with a darkness within myself, but I never would have hurt Eliza. She told everyone I was an abusive man... but all I've ever wanted was love.

He's an abuser! Disgusting man!

I looked to the picture of us on my desk... and pushed it into the trash. Month after month she had abused me... and I was the bad guy I guess. When I met King, and he wasn't afraid of me, I knew I'd found a good friend... I smiled a bit. He was a good man... and I was only trying to protect him from Harper.

No wonder your father threw you out! He must hate you!

Those words filled my head everyday she managed to slip in my mind. I felt like a child for being so upset by these string of words, but I was alone... and had no one to talk to. I went under my desk and... I couldn't help but cry. I'm supposed to be this big bad guy... but why did she have to paint me out to be that way?... Sure I'm a pain in the ass... but I'd never hit or harm a person I loved. I cried quietly, the imps attempting to comfort my lonely existence.