Chapter 26

I walk into the museum a little after Peter and see people dancing. I spot the bathroom and gesture that I'm heading there to take my leggings off. Peter nods as I walk towards the bathroom.

When I get in there I find myself warming up and wince at some pain all over my body. Peter's in pain. I wince as I feel my skin crawling along my side. I go into a stall and take my leggings off and see part of a scar forming on my lower hip. I lift my dress and see a large scar going up my side. It's like I've been cut, but I haven't. It must be Peter's. "You didn't have direct contact with it though?" I hear him question.

"How did you-" I stop my own thought as I realize he probably feels his scar going away.

"It's from a few nights ago, but it's hurt cause it never healed properly," he explains. I sigh lowering my dress and fixing myself.

"Can I put my leggings in your backpack?" I send to him. He doesn't respond. I look in the mirror and fix my hair as best as I can and head out of the bathroom. Peter is waiting with his bag off his shoulder offering it to me. I take it from him and put my leggings in the biggest pocket. I raise my eyebrows a bit as the sight of his spider suit surprises me. You'd think he'd be more discreet about it, but I guess it is hidden in his bag. I hand it back to him and he puts it on his shoulder. A suit with a beat up backpack really doesn't do well for him, but what can you do? We walk into the main area. My side is still in pain, but I try to ignore it as we walk in. He's a little ahead of me as if to have me follow him. He walks us over to a table where I recognize his aunt and Happy. They are sitting with a little girl and a pretty strawberry blonde woman.

"Uncle Peter!" The little girl says excitedly. Peter smiles brightly as he picks up the girl, she has to be about six maybe a little older.

"Hey miss Morgan," Peter says. I smile a bit and make eye contact with May.

"Stella Carmichael," She says with a bright smile. "I don't think I've seen you since Peter was still in high school."

"Yeah," I say awkwardly. "It's been awhile." She smiles and takes a drink of her wine glass as I move my glance to Happy. I nod to him a bit. "Happy, long time," I say just as awkwardly as Peter puts the little girl down. Happy nods to me as I sit down next to him.

"Peter what's she doing here?" Happy asks.

"I invited her," he says simply. May raises her eyebrows.

"How did you two even-

"I thought you were on vacation?" I blur out interrupting May. She looks over at me and then glances back at Peter.

"I was. But, I needed to be in New York for business."

"Aren't you-

"I'm Pepper by the way," the blonde woman says. "Since Peter doesn't know how to introduce his dates."

"Oh I'm just a friend," I say quickly. I feel my heartbeat kicking up. Almost like an attack but I can hear and see everything fine. Pepper smiles at me.

"Of course. I'm not surprised, Peter hasn't had very many girlfriends anyway. His Stark Internship keeps him pretty busy. Paperwork and-

"She knows Pepper," May and Peter say at the same time. Pepper turns to them then back to me.

"I see," she says with her eyebrows raised.

"Uncle Peter come dance with me," the little girl says dragging Peter to the dance floor. They go off and I sit and listen to May and Pepper talk about how the new exhibit will be a great memorial for Tony.

"I didn't know Mr. Stark liked art?" I ask Pepper and May. Pepper laughs a little.

"He didn't.  But there's so much artwork around the city that this photographer has taken photos of that they made a exhibit. It's been years in the making and who am I to silence Tony's memory?" Pepper explains.

"Hence the fancy exhibit," May adds with a smile taking a drink of her wine. I nod and look out to where Peter is dancing with the little girl, through context clues I've decided her name is Morgan. Peter twirls her around and I smile a bit. They turn to where he's facing our table. I watch his face as he drops his smile and straightens up. He furrows his eyebrows as he looks around.

"Sorry Morgan I'll be right back," he says to her. I can tell no one else besides Morgan heard it because they are further away. He starts walking out to one of the off limits sections. A guard stops him.

"Sorry sir This area is off limits. Back to the party please," the guard says. I get up and walk over to where they are bringing Peter's backpack with me.

"I'm a intern with the Stark company. I really need in that area," Peter explains as I walk up.

"Hi, sorry, Peter did you get the picture for Pepper? She needs it for Mr. Starks legacy scrapbook," I say trying to help him.

"Ma'am this area is-

"Sir please Are going to dispute Pepper Stark? The wife of the late Tony Stark? Have you learned nothing since his passing? It may have been a couple years but to reopen those wounds at something like this don't you think-

"Okay okay okay! I get it," the Guard removes the rope. "You two be quick." Peter rushes in and I follow behind him. He walks down another hallway and then stops and looks around.

"What is it Lassie? Timmy fall down a well?" I ask making fun of him a bit.

"Shut up. She's here," Peter says slowly.

"Who?"

"Cat."

"Okay Peter there's no way that-" he covers my mouth as he looks up at the ceiling where I spot a glimpse of black leather flash in the corner. I look over and see nothing, but I can guess. I look back at Peter.

"She saw you," I send to him. He looks back at me his hands still covering my mouth.

"I know," he says. He drops his hand and grabs the bag from me. He dips into a bathroom. I fight myself, but decide to follow him in.

"Peter aren't you hurt?" I ask as I walk in on him sliding his suit on in the middle of the bathroom. He turns quickly and I find myself staring at all the scars he has. A huge one similar to the one I have on my side. But it's the little ones on his back before he turns that interest me. "Peter, how are you all scratched up?" Without warning I jump as I hear another voice.

"Yeah Peter," I hear Felicia say from the doorway. "How are you scratched up?" I turn to her and see her in her Black Cat get up. She raises her eyebrows and Peter zips the suit up.