Chapter 21

Maybe ten or so minutes go by until I hear a small tap on my window. I look over and see a shivering Peter wearing a tshirt from some school homecoming and some pajama pants that are red and plaid. I open the window to help him climb in. To my surprise he pulls me into a hug. It's really the most intimate touch we've had and I don't know what to do. I wrap my arms around his waist and listen to his heart beat. He feels really cold, what kind of idiot swings in the middle of New York fall. He's gonna freeze. I pull away and grab a blanket from my closet. "Here," I say getting it quickly and wrapping it around him. He pulls it over his shoulders sitting down in my desk chair.

"Thanks," he says quietly. I nod and sit on the edge of my bed facing him. "Sorry, i Just, uh," he's still shaking a bit but I can't tell if it's because a he still cold or if he is nervous for some reason. "Was that you?" He asks with no context, but I know what he is talking about. I look down.

"Peter, who's Mary Jane?" I ask him answering his question. He nods a little bit he's not looking at me anymore. He bites his lower lip slowly and runs his tongue across his teeth from inside his mouth. He wipes his face and then looks at me.

"Guess that answers the dream question," he says ignoring my question.

"Parker, who is Mary Jane?" I ask more sternly. Making it clear I don't want to not talk about it.

"She was my girlfriend," he says lightly shaking his leg up and down a bit. He's really shifty and can't seem to sit still. "She moved to Queens junior year, which was convenient since MJ, ironic that it was the same initials, had already broken up with me," he adds.

"How long were you two together?" I ask him not wanting to push any boundaries, but obviously they were close and I'd like to know what the dream meant.

"Up until the end of senior year," he says. "So about a year and a half," he adds for clarification. I raise my eyebrows a bit. I've never dated anyone for so long and I assume neither has Peter.

"Wow he must have really liked her," I think to myself. He shifts again not wanting to look at me as he is avoiding eye contact.

"I love her Stella," he say lightly trying to keep himself together. I notice he said love and not loved and my heart hurts a bit.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking," I say cautiously. He shrugs a bit and leans back in the chair running a hand through his hair to where the blanket falls.

"We just had different issues. It was never going to work out," he says clearly not wanting to tell me.

"Peter," I say lightly causing him to look up at me. "You know you can tell me anything right?" I ask him touching his hand in a caring way. "I'm your friend," I add. He nods and looks down at our hands. I quickly pull away as to avoid a awkward moment. "Was it Spider-Man was she not cool with it?" I ask after a moment of silence.

"No, uh," he pauses. "She actually loved the Spider-Man stuff. She was so ready to help and wanted nothing more than for me to be happy and understood what Spider-Man meant to me," he explains. I furrow my eyebrows he seems to light up when talking about this girl. He really was in love with her. How could I be so stupid? "But Spider-Man was also part of the downfall," he adds.

"Why'd you break up with her if you love her?" I ask him. It was clear in the dream that he was the cause just based on how they talked. At least that's what I gathered.

"I had to," he says lightly. "It became difficult. Spider-Man, I don't know if you kept up with what I've been doing, but I had a big villain, Mysterio, he was supposed to be my friend. Like always I trusted the wrong people, Mary Jane she tried to help and found out that he wasn't what he seemed. It started a lot of fights," he is vague in his explanation. Like he doesn't want to keep me informed for some reason.