You did what now?

It's my first week back at the gallery and I can't stop thinking about what Leah asked us on the camping trip. I never really thought that she would want us to do that. I stare at the blank canvas in front of me and look around it and see Ian talking to a customer. I tap my brush on my knee, Ian walks back, "Hey, can I ask you a question?" I set my brush down and look up at him, "What's up?" I say. Ian pulls a stool up and sits down, "So, I love your mom. A lot. And I was thinking about.." I stop him by jumping up and shaking my head. "No, Ian. Mom isn't ready for that." I tell him, he nods and pushes himself off the stool. "Uh, yeah, no. Yeah. You're right. Just thought I'd ask what you thought." He says walking back up front.

Ian wants to marry mom, she's not ready for another marriage. "Maggie, someone's here for you. Says she knows Bailey?" Ian says. I walk towards the front and see a woman a little bit taller than I. "Hi, may I help you?" I ask her. She looks at me. "Hi, you must be Mrs Grayson. I'm Helen Farmer. Grace's mother." Grace? Oh Grace. The little girl who came over a lot during the play. "Yes, hello. What can I do for you?" I say. "Well, Grace is having a birthday party this weekend and I wanted to formally invite you and your family." She yes so cheerfully she reminds me of a step-ford wife. "Oh, um. I'd have to clear it with my husband first." I say. She smiles and digs in her purse, "Ok, hon. If you can bring these gifts. We don't want Grace getting the same thing twice." She says with a crinkled smile and waves as she swishes out the door.

Ian walks up beside me, "What was that?" He asks. "A Helen." I say looking at the list of gifts. I'm assuming each guest brings two different gifts that she selects. I hope Derek says no to this party. "Ian, you ok with closing up?" I ask grabbing my bag. "Yeah, go." He says with a smile, I walk over and place a kiss on his cheek. "Thanks." I say and head out. I notice Helen is still out in the parking lot on her phone, I go about my business and get in my car. "Maggie." Helen says from beside me. I turn around, "Yes." She smiles at me, "You don't remember me do you?" She asks. I look at her and shake my head, "No, sorry. Should I?" I ask. She laughs. "I was in the same grade as Derek, He stood me up for you at prom." She says.

"Oh, Helen. You weren't Farmer back then were you?" I say with a smile. She laughs, "No, Wright. Hey, this isn't awkward just so you know, everyone in town knew you two were going to be married one day. And you have a beautiful daughter and I hear you have twins. Must be a handful. And A teenager? How long you two been together?" She says with a curious smile. I laugh, "Yeah, they are a handful, we took Leah in when her mom died. She's going to college this year." I say. "That's great, well look I hope you all decide to come it will be fun I promise." She says, "We'll be there." I say before I can stop myself. She smiles so big for a second I think her face is going to crack, "Great, see you there."

I climb into my car and slump my head over onto the steering wheel. Why did I agree do that. I drive home listening to the local news. I pull up and see Derek out front with the kids. "Hey, how was your day?" He asks, leaning in to kiss me. I sigh and tell him all about Helen and what Ian wants to do.

"Maggie, Wait in one day. Ian tells you he wants to marry your mom and Helen Wright invite us to a birthday party. Well one I think Ian should marry your mom, I haven't seen her this happy since your dad. Two do we have to go to this party?" He says. "Well I uh, I told her we'd go already." I say with a smile. He smiles, and sighs. "You, said it before you could stop yourself huh?" He says and I nod. Bailey runs over to me, "Mom, Grace." I stop her, "I know, we're going. Me and you will go shopping tomorrow ok." I tell her and she smiles hugging me.

"Kids, come on inside now." Derek calls out to them. Leah comes running up the driveway with the mail. "They came! They came!" She shouts waving the mail around. "Well hurry up and get in here and open them up." I say as we all head inside one by one.