Chapter Thirteen

The time before the queen arriving went by too quickly. before Kye could blink, a month and a half went by. One could feel the tension around the Temple. Everyone was on edge and the halls silent. No one left the walls but the Ethelwulf to protect the surrounding villages.
Crixus went to training every morning and returned just after sundown. Kye stayed busy helping the Rendell and the room masters. Kept his mind off missing Crixus. With the Ethelwulf serving double duty, it was enough to keep him busy during the day.
Crixus however was doing well with training. It helped get his blood pumping which helped with his own stress and anxiousness. Only a few days before the fight now and he was ready.

+Crixus returned home after his day of training a little later than normal. He closed his door and felt Kye hug him from behind. Obviously had missed him.

"Hello pup. How was your day?"

"Okay. Busy actually. I made stew."

Kye let go and backed away.

"Unless you wanted to sleep or something."

"I am hungry."

Crixus said smiling at him.

"And you have been making my mother's stew very well lately."

"I've been practicing."

Kye said blushing.

"I know you like it and will eat it."

Crixus nodded and set his bag down.

"You do know me pup. How about after dinner you help me train?"

He watched Kye's face turn bright red, and his eyes dropped to the floor.

"I was hoping you'd say that...I've noticed you seem to go longer now."

Crixus chuckled and went to the table.

"It's the endurance training. I didn't realize how low it had gotten."

"Low?! We go at it for an hour a night usually. How is that low?"

Kye gave him a bowl, giving him a look. Crixus smiled and touched his back.

"Remember when I used to put your ass to sleep? You keep up well with me now."

"Don't try and make me all flustered. Do you want some mead? Mattowa dropped it off."

"Yes. Is he and Rai still a thing?"

"Of course. He's on light duty right now so she is at his side all the time."

Kye said laughing.

"He told me to tell you he finally won."

"Good. Rai deserves to be happy and Mattowa is an excellent male."

Crixus finished his stew and drink, then gazed over at Kye. He was reading quietly spooning his bowl. He seemed on edge, and was oddly quiet.

"Are you alright pup?"

"Yes..."

"That was a funny yes."

Crixus probed. He watched Kye sigh softly and set his book down.

"Day after tomorrow...she will be here."

"Yes. I believe I am ready. Is that what is bothering you?"

"Sorta. I'm just nervous I guess."

Kye gathered their bowls and went to start cleaning. Crixus rose watching him, he knew he didn't want to talk about it anymore. He came up behind Kye and touched his back.