Chapter 12: Hangover

Naira woke up with a pounding headache.

Urghhh.....She sat up, her hands clutching her forehead that seemed to be pounding, threatening to break free from her neck and roll away...

Suddenly, the curtains was drawn, and a cup filled with coffee was kept on the tea table with a thud.

Her eyebrows scrunched and her eyes half-closed because of the glaring sunlight, she looked up to see Kartik taking a pill from the medicine packet.

She was hell confused....Kartik...What was he doing here? And where was she?This did not look like her room.

Her eyes stared fixed at Kartik, who, without a word handed out a glass of water and a pill to her.

"Kartik, where am I and what are you doing here?"

"You got drunk yesterday" said Kartik, quietly.

"Whaat?" Naira exclaimed in utmost belief.

Naira clutched her head more tightly, trying to force her still tipsy brain to recall anything of yesterday's happenings.

A hazy image of her and Kartik standing in proximity flashed through her mind.

'Kartik, I love you'

Naira instantly looked at Kartik, alarmed, her stomach knotted.
Oh my God...What the hell actually happened last night?

'Kyaa hua...Kuch yaad aaya?' Kartik asked, concerned and worried.

Naira paled.
'N...Nahiii...'she managed to stutter.

Kartik stiffly nodded his head.

Naira got up from the bed, in a hurry to stay away from Kartik.

'Mujhe jaana hai, Kartik'

Kartik moved towards her to stop her...
But seeing her so alarmed and distraught, he stopped himself, reluctantly.

He could see that Naira was worried, and he also knew that now it is more important to give her time and space.

Naira almost ran out of the apartment.
Getting out, she recognised it to be similar to that of her apartment. Going through the corridor, she went her way towards her apartment.

She rang the doorbell, which was answered instantly by a very worried Gayu. Seeing Naira, she heaved in relief.

"Naira, tum theek toh hai na."

"Haan...Kartik..Kartik stays here?" Asked Naira, hurriedly.

Gayu nodded slightly.

"Aur tumne mujhe bataya hi nahi..."
Gayu just bowed her head down.

"Papa ko pata hai?"

Again silence.

Great.Naira thought. Everyone knew but her.

She went towards her room and shut the door. Now all she needs is some solitude and peace of mind....

Things were getting out of control...Kartik in her complex??

Jab se aaya hu.....Tab se jhatka hi mil raha hai.

So much for avoiding him....Well,when was Fate by her side...?

These were too much of coincidences...And she had enough, She is gonna steer clear of Kartik, even if she have to quit college and stay locked up in her room all day.

A Hesitant knock. Once again.

Naira got up and opened the door to see her Father standing there.

She went and sat on her bed, with Naitik following her.

"Papa, why didn't you tell me Kartik had shifted here?"

"Princess, even I came to know only last day. Aur tum kal se bahut pareshan thi...I didn't want you to be disturbed more."

"Wese bhi..Even you had hidden things from me. Why didn't you tell me Kartik is teaching in your college?"
Naitik added.

"How did you know, Papa?"

"I just guessed. Kartik talked about taking over a college, and he not meeting my eyes was proof enough. Also your hesitancy to talk about your college, how worried and tensed you were after your first day at college....So, I just put two and two together, and now you just confirmed."

Naira bowed her head, looking at her lap, her hands fiddling over the foot fabric of her dress.

"Princess, I am not angry at you...But, you should remember from now on not to keep anything away from me.. Beta, you can talk to me openly. I am always there by your side, remember that." Saying this, Naitik rubbed her head lovingly, before going out.

Naira, consoled by her father's words, slept off due to exhaustion.

Meanwhile, Kartik was pacing the length of his room, lost in thoughts. He raked his hands through his hairs in frustration. What was the Truth? Was his brother's death teally Naira's fault as he had believed?
He had to know...

He quickly dialed Gayu's number, but before she could answer, he cut it.

No..Whatever he wants to know, only Naira will answer. Even though he is angry with her, no matter what, whether he hates her or not, he fully trusts her.

Kartik left the room in a hurry.

Arriving at the doorstep of Naira's house, he hesitated to knock.

How the hell is he supposed to go inside? What would Papa and others think, if he barges in, demanding to see Naira, and Naira obviously will refuse.

Even Papa, no matter how kind he has been, after all that has happened in these last 2 years, will be hesitant to leave him alone with Naira.

He called Naira again. She didn't answer.
'Pick up the phone, Naira...plss'

Cursing, Kartik withdrew the phone from his ear.

Disappointed, he returned back.

_________________________________________
A short update this time, guyzzz...

So, What do u think?

Lemme know thru ur votes, comments and shares!!!

😄💙