Chapter 16: Heartsick!

Naira kept fiddling with the phone, irritated

Naira kept fiddling with the phone, irritated. For the hundredth time in that minute, she messaged Kartik asking about his whereabouts, but just as quickly as she typed, she erased it, and threw the phone on the bed, frustrated and mentally exhausted.

She could feel a headache coming. Quickly she got up, and hurried over to the drawer. After rummaging theough it for less than a minute, she found the pill she was looking for. Popping it into her mouth, she gulped it down with water, and sat on the couch, waiting for the pills to start its effect.

How things had changed... It doesn't feel like she is living anymore..She was just existing, being just a shell of what she used to be....Where was the chirpy and bubbly Naira? Was she lost in the depths of her misery? Or was she left behind with the closed chapters of Kartik?

Sometimes, to move forward in life, It is necessary to turn back and read the pages you have left behind, the inner voice in her advised. She appeared not to hear it.
Suddenly, She Opened her eyes. No, She has her own identity apart from that of Kartik. If an essence of herself is lost in her past, she will make sure to bring it back.
But, she closed her eyes. It seemed like there was no solution to her problems. Kartik was the balm on her wounds, the answers to her dilemmas, the person with whom she could be herself, where she could think of herself rather than others...And this distance was killing her.

But her self-respect was stopping her from going...Also, her insecurities...She was afraid of being hurt by him again.

Her phone rang into her thoughts. Sighing, she peeped into the screen only to see Kartik's name flashing on the screen..Ecstatic, she answered the call, her heart thumping so loudly, she was afraid it would burst.

Dead silence was all that she could hear.
Keeping her worst fears aside, she managed to initiate the conversation.
"Kartik..." she said softly.
Kartik sighed on the other end.
"Nairaa..." Her name rolled from his tongue like a melody, and it still managed to make her heart flutter.

"Naira...I...I want to meet you....Tomorrow, midnight, in the garden" Naira breathed slowly. Her heart beating very fast. She managed to hum. Silence filled the both ends as they both tried to speak a lot of things through the silence between them.

"Naira, phone rakhti hu..." Kartik said after what seemed like an eternity later.
"Kartik.." Naira called out, not wanting him to end the call.
Kartik tightened the hold on his phone, hopeful.
"Nothing..Take care..Byee" Naira said.
Kartik hummed this time, as he ended the call sadly.

Kartik sat, mixed feelings running through his mind. He was very anxious on what would be the outcome of their meeting tomorrow. It was bery important for him to mend things between them, and for that,he needs to talk to Ma first.

Getting up,he walled to the door, only to see his mother coming in.
"Kartik beta, waapas aa gaya, par mere saath waqt kyu nahi bitaa rahe ho.. Mai tumhe bahot miss kiya...Khabardar firse mujhse dur gaya to." Said Suvarna, as she affectionately held him. He hugged her, and guided her towards his bed.

Sitting beside her, he took her palm in his hands, and initiated the conversation.
"Maa, kya aap ko abhi bhi lagta hai ki jo kuch bhi hua, usme Naira ki hi galti hai.."
Suvarna's hands stilled.

"Maa, Sach me...Jo kuch bhi hua, usme Naira ki galti nahi thi...Bas halat galat tha...Mai maanti hu ki usko chupaana nahi chahuye thi...lekin aisa bhi toh ho sakta hai ki koi wajah hai jiske kaaran woh hume nahi bataaya?...Maa, Bas mujhe aisa laga...But Maa, For me what you say is tge most important...Mai meri maa ko ek baar kho chuke hai, ab ek aur baar nahi...Maa, Whatever your decision may be, I will stand by you..."
Kartik gushed on, nervously, pouring out everything.

Suvarna didn't know what to say...Even she had been thinking about this mess that had entered their lives uninvited...

The thought of even, in her agony, doing something wrong to Naira troubled her day and night..And she couldnt help thinking that..if only..only if she had not gone blind in her grief and turned down her two most precious daughters.

From the time she had met Naira, she had always supported her and treated her like her daughter, Keerti...But was all that she claimed about seeing Naira as her own daughter false? Is that why she turned upon Naira and doing so, lost Keerti also? And also destroyed her son's happiness?

Her eyes welled up, reminiscing her mistake..These Two years weren't easy for her...And how she wanted this ordeal to get over..

Seeing his mom lost in thoughts, Kartik knew he should give her some more time. He slowly got up, and squeezing his mother's hands softly, providing her the comfort she very much needed, left the room, leaving Suvarna to her thoughts..

Seems like Naira and Kartik are not the only ones having a long night ahead.
_________________________________________************************************♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Heyy Guyz..So suvarna is finally coming around...and so is this story's end...
Sorry...Really Sorry for the late update..
Been having lot of things going around..
And still having them..So the updates are gonna continue being untimely...

So, i have thought of taking down the 2 books bcoz its not fair to leave you guyz hanging midway..

But i promise, I will not give up on it...
Or should I just leave it like this?

Please tell me ur opinion...
And dont forget to vote, comment and share...😁

Yours truly