11: Imperfections

The day of the dance had come, and the girls' dormitory was in chaos.

Who had a hair straightener? Who had a hair curler? Which girl had the nail polish color the other wanted? Everyone was running around getting what they needed. Avery was currently curling Nikki's auburn hair for her. They were both in their dresses and were just wrapping up.

Avery herself had her freshly dyed blonde hair half up-half down and was wearing makeup that another girl on the floor had offered to do for her. She finished Nikki's hair, and they smiled at each other.

"Have fun tonight, okay?" Nikki said looking into her eyes.

Avery nodded. "I will, and you should too."

The girls left their dorm and Avery smiled at what she saw when they made their way down the path to the gym. Julian and Archer were standing on opposite sides of the path glaring at each other in their black suits. Avery stifled a laugh.

"Hey guys," Nikki said, going over to Julian.

Archer's jaw dropped when he saw Avery. He came over to her and smiled down at her.

"You look stunning," he said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer to him.

She looked up at him and grinned. "You're not so bad yourself."

He chuckled. "I like the new hair," he commented.

"Thank you," she beamed.

They made their way to the gym and Avery was surprised by how much they had transformed it for the dance. There were soft white lights coming down from the ceiling, they had used fabric to cover parts of the gym wall, and even decorated with balloons and streamers.

"Avery, right?"

Avery turned around and was surprised to see Chelsey standing there. Avery had no idea what she could possible want.

"Uh yeah?" Avery said nervously.

Chelsey smiled but it was not a warm expression. "Oh, I hardly recognized you with blonde hair, you know I hate to say it, but I don't think it's your color," she said with a flip of her own blonde hair.

"What do you want, Chelsey?" Avery asked, rolling her eyes.

"Do you happen to know where Julian is?" she asked.

The tone of her voice sounded innocent enough, but Avery knew better. She had done too much to get Nikki her date, she was not about to let Chelsey ruin it.

"I have no idea," Avery said blankly.

Chelsey frowned. Her eyes lingered on Archer for a moment who had his arm around Avery.

"If you wanted a way into the dance, Archer, you could have just asked me to invite you," Chelsey said, batting her eyelashes a little too much.

Archer gave her a funny look. "I came because Avery asked me, I wouldn't spend a night at Hartfield for anyone else," he said coolly.

Avery wanted to kiss him right there and then, but she composed herself.

"Sorry, Chelsey, and in case you were wondering Julian has a date as well, so even if you find him, I don't think he'll be interested," Avery said.

"Is that so?" she muttered before storming off.

"You know I am pretty sure I see Aldine over there with your roommate," Archer said, nodding his head toward the two of them who were sitting at one of the tables.

Avery shushed him. "I pulled too many strings to get Nikki and Julian together, I am not letting Chelsey anywhere near them tonight."

He chuckled. "Okay, well may I have this dance, Avery?" Archer asked, offering his hand.