23: Unraveled

Avery broke up with Archer today. Not because she was trying to hook up with Julian, but because they both knew it just was not there anymore.

"It's cool, Avery," he said.

"You seem surprisingly understanding about the whole thing," Avery noted.

He shrugged. "I get it, and at least you were honest, I wouldn't want to be led on anyway."

She smiled. "So, we're good?"

He nodded. "Just don't expect any invitations to my parties anytime soon."

She chuckled. "How did it go at the college in California?" she asked.

"Good, I'm really excited," he said with big grin. 

"That's great," she said with a small smile.

"You know, while we're on the subject of our futures, have you made any plans to heal and move on?"

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "I know you haven't had the easiest life, but you know sometimes finding closure and starting a new chapter is just what you need."

Avery sighed. "If only it were that easy."

"Look, just for the sake of being honest, I think you have the potential to do great things, but it's entirely dependent on you. So, I would spend some time thinking about what you want and where you want to be in a couple years," he explained. "It might help you find the space to heal when you have some goals in sight."

Avery smiled. "That's good advice, seriously," she said. Avery then stood on her toes and kissed him on the cheek. "Take care, Archer."

"You too, Avery," he said back.

Avery went to her car and had just started the engine when Emmet called her back.

"Hey, sorry I missed your call, what's up?" he asked.

"Want to stalk the woman who might be my mother?" she asked.

"Hell yeah," he said.

"Great, I'll send you the address," she replied.

When Emmet arrived, they walked into the diner and she anxiously looked around for the woman.

"Do you see her?" he asked.

She shook her head and started to get disappointed. "Maybe she'll show up later."

Emmet frowned. He got up from his seat.

"What are you doing?" she hissed.

"Relax, would you?"

Avery watched as he went over and spoke with the guy at the register. They talked for a while before Emmet happily came back over to her.

"That guy is so cute," he said, as he sat back down. "I got his phone number."

Avery gave him a funny look. "Are you and Cole not a thing anymore?" she asked.

Emmet made a face. "We talk, but he can be a lot," he said, but did not elaborate.

Avery did not push the matter further. "What did the guy at the register say?"

"She comes in at eight," he answered.

"Eight? That's in like four hours," she groaned.

"Want to do something else and come back?" he asked.

Avery sighed. "I could get my hair done, I suppose."

"Okay, I guess that could be fun," he said with a shrug.