37: Who We Were

Avery and Julian were walking out of detention together. They were late this morning, through no fault of anyone but themselves. They had been alone in Julian's room the night before and spent a little too much time making out.

Both were late to their first period and had to serve yet another detention with Merriwether. At least Coach let them talk, Merriwether made them sit in silence.

"It's crazy how strict she can be," Julian complained.

"She can be nice too, but she hardly lets people see that side of her."

Julian chuckled. "Coach is the opposite, he is pretty nice generally but you do not want to be the one to piss him off, boy can he yell."

"Truly a match made in heaven," Avery laughed.

They passed the parking lot and Julian paused as he looked over at the cars. His expression hardened.

"Were you going to tell me Grace was coming?" he asked bitterly.

Avery glanced over as well and frowned. "Well, I would have if I had known, but she didn't even tell me."

"Why does she keep doing that?" Julian muttered.

Avery shrugged as she pulled his wrist towards her and glanced at his watch.

"Please tell me you aren't thinking of hanging out with her today," he said bitterly.

"Just for a few hours, I could be back by dinner," she offered.

Julian did not seem to budge. Avery pouted at him and used her big blue eyes to try to convince him to change his mind.

"Hey, you're sad puppy dog face only works on your dad and uncle, not me," Julian said shaking his head.

Avery stuck out her lower lip a bit more and used her old trick to make herself cry.

"Oh my God, Avery, are you for real?" Julian said, rolling his eyes. Finally, he sighed and gave in. "Fine, but be here by six, okay?"

Avery grinned, she happily wiped away her tears and kissed him on the cheek.

"Can you drop my school bag off in my dorm?" she asked, handing it to him.

He nodded and took it from her.

"Six on the dot, okay?" he repeated.

Avery nodded back. Julian kept his arms around her for a moment longer, finally after one more kiss, he released her and Avery excitedly waved goodbye and went over to Grace who seemed just as excited to see her.

"Hey, babe," Grace said cheerfully.

"Hey," Avery greeted her back. "How long have you been waiting here?" she asked. "You could have called or texted."

"Oh, don't worry about that," she said dismissively. "It's better if I wait here than give Mark evidence that I came here at all."

Avery frowned. "Uncle Mark didn't want us to meet?" she asked.

"No, of course not," Grace said immediately. "Well, kind of," she sighed. "He told me that unless I could get myself together I had no business being a part of your life, but I am sober now."

"But you don't want me to tell him we are hanging out?" Avery asked, still confused.

"Best to keep the peace, yeah?" she said. "Anyway, you won't believe the trip I have planned for us today."

"I need to be back by six for dinner," Avery brought up.

"Really? Kind of early don't you think?" she asked. "That's only two hours together."