9: Turning Point

"So let me get this straight," Avery said as she and Nikki got ready. "Rather than let me study in the classes I am barely passing, you want me to spend hours going to and from your basketball game just to watch you guys play instead of getting the inevitable highlights at lunch tomorrow?"

"Yes," Nikki said as she tied her hair up. "Come on, it will be fun, and you deserve a break. Besides, this team is like our biggest rivals, it'll be an interesting game."

Avery sighed. She glanced over at her Chemistry book and just the thought of drawing all the Lewis Dot Structures was enough to convince her.

"Okay, fine, I'll come, but what do I even wear?" Avery asked.

Nikki went over to Avery's closet and began looking through her clothes. Her eyes fell on her father's basketball jersey. She picked it up and showed it to Avery.

"Can't go wrong representing the team, right?"

Avery took a deep breath. She nodded and took the jersey from Nikki. She put it on over her black long sleeve shirt. Avery brushed through her black hair. She would have to do something with her hair sooner or later, the black was already fading and the brown was starting to show again. Avery put on some makeup and then turned back to Nikki.

"I look okay, right?" she said nervously.

"You look gorgeous, Avery," she said smiling. "As always, now come on."

Avery eased up and smiled back. She agreed to a few photos with Nikki and then together they left their dorm and went to the bus that was taking them to the game. As they walked, Nikki tapped away on her phone.

"Do you have Instagram?" she asked.

Avery shrugged. "I did, but I forgot the username, I don't really use social media."

"Oh, okay, well do you mind if I post the photo we took?" Nikki asked.

"Go ahead," Avery said with a shrug.

Soon, they got on the bus and left for the game. Avery noticed Cole and Julian sitting a few rows away. She turned and nudged Nikki.

"Did you ask him yet?" Avery whispered.

"I told you that it wouldn't work out," she murmured.

"Well, did you ask?" Avery questioned.

Nikki frowned. "What do I say if he says no?"

Avery knew Julian wouldn't say no. Her threat of detention would prevent that from happening. Still, Avery squeezed her friend's shoulder comfortingly.

"Then you hold your head up high and walk away like the confident girl you are," Avery encouraged. "And I'll buy some ice cream to cheer you up."

Nikki slowly nodded. "Okay, I'll ask him tonight," she said, starting to get her confidence back.

Avery smiled. "You got this."

When they arrived at the school, all the basketball players went to the locker room and Avery found herself among a group of peers she barely knew. She awkwardly followed them to the gym but was a few feet behind. When she got into the gym, she stood at the door nervously, she wasn't sure what side the visitors were sitting on. She barely recognized her classmates as it was.

"Lost?"

Avery turned around and found a boy standing behind her. He had dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. His jawline was well defined, and he was quite the looker. Avery looked at his jersey, he was playing for the team Hartfield was playing against tonight.

"I haven't seen you here before, are you with Hartfield?" he asked when she didn't say anything.

Avery regained her composure and nodded. "Uh, yeah, do you know what side the visiting team is sitting on?" she asked the boy.