34: Wrong Directions

On Thursday, Julian and Avery were walking to the library together. They were meeting their friends upstairs for a game of pool and to watch a basketball game on the big television. Avery and Julian were holding hands as they walked and Julian was telling Avery about something he was doing this summer but her mind was elsewhere. Her eyes were focused on the parking lot as they passed it and all she could do was really offer distant small comments as he spoke. 

"Avery, you're not even listening," Julian complained which snapped her attention towards him.

"Sorry . . .I don't know, I thought I saw something in the parking lot," she mumbled, craning her neck to look back.

"What did you think you saw?" Julian asked curiously, straining his neck to look over and see as well.

"Nothing," Avery said, shaking her head and trying to think about what he was talking about. "So, the aquarium," she finally recalled. "You're going to work there this summer?"

That was enough to distract him and she was grateful.

"Yeah, it's going to be so great!"

Avery smiled back faintly and when they met up with their friends, Avery tried to forget about what she may or may not have seen in the parking lot.

"Hey Emmet," Avery said as she hugged him.

"Hey," he replied back. "I brought you something," he whispered as he slid a package in her pocket discreetly.

Avery knew what it was, she thought about giving it back, but considering what she may or may not have seen in the parking lot, she decided to keep it for now.

"How'd you sneak onto campus?" she asked, changing the subject as she subtly positioned the weed so other people wouldn't notice it.

"I have my ways," he said with a wink.

"I signed him in as a visitor," Cole said as he came over, rolling his eyes.

"Ugh, why did you have to ruin it?" Emmet complained as he went back over to Cole.

Avery chuckled.

"Oh Avery! Guess what?" Chelsey said excitedly walking over to Avery.

"What?" Avery asked.

"I got a B plus on my math test!" Chelsey informed her proudly.

"Good job! I suppose you don't need me to do your homework anymore?" Avery asked.

"Hardly, if anything, we're going to work harder, now that I know I can get a B, we have to go for an A."

Avery smiled. "Sure," she said back.

For the first round of pool, Avery teamed up with Nikki and they beat Brady and Chelsey with ease. Cole and Julian then stepped up and also lost to her and Nikki.

"Okay, that's it, I want Nikki on my team," Chelsey demanded.

Avery smiled and let Chelsey take her place. She joined Julian on the couch but her thoughts were distant. As the afternoon turned into evening and they all remained in the library, Avery grew more and more anxious.

"I think I'm going to head back to my room," Avery said to Julian.

"Everything okay?" he asked, already sensing her nerves.

She nodded. "I think so."

Julian looked concerned. "Do you want me to come with you?" he asked.

Avery shook her head. "I think I'm just tired," she explained.

He nodded but his eyes were still full of concern.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," he said, kissing her goodbye.