35: What They Don't Say

Avery hadn't even realized what time it was. By the time Grace had finished telling her yet another story about her and her father's adventures at Hartfield, Avery realized it was almost six in the morning.

"I better go," Avery said, starting to stand.

"Oh, you really can't stay?" Grace asked. "I can tell you more stories."

"I have school," Avery explained.

Grace looked upset. "You'll come back, won't you?"

Avery nodded. "Sure, but I really need to get to school."

Grace started to smile. "Okay, I'll plan a whole day for us."

Avery smiled back. "Okay, see you soon."

She waved goodbye and then rushed to her car. Avery raced to school and the entire time all she could think about was her time with Grace. Avery had not even realized how long she had been with her. Time did not seem to exist as Grace reminisced about her relationship with Keith. She told Avery so many stories, things Avery realized her father was never going to share with her. Grace even told her about a hidden shortcut in the woods to the other side of the mountains at Hartfield. It was nice, Avery had to admit, she liked Grace. Now she only hoped she made it back in time for class.

Avery got to her dorm a little after seven. Chelsey must have already left for breakfast. Avery collapsed on her bed, she only now realized how tired she was. She shouldn't have stayed out as long as she had.

Just for a few minutes, Avery thought as she closed her eyes.

Those minutes must have turned into hours though, because Avery woke up to her door slamming shut behind someone. She woke up startled by the noise and came face to face with Julian who did not look happy.

Avery groaned as her eyes adjusted to the light. "What time is it?" she muttered.

"Twelve," Julian said through his teeth and just from his tone she could tell he was pissed.

"Lunchtime, then I can go back to sleep," Avery murmured, closing her eyes again.

"No you can't," Julian said as he pulled her blanket back. "But you can tell me where the hell you were last night, and don't say you were here because Chelsey already told me you weren't."

Avery sat up at once. She rubbed her eyes. "It doesn't matter, I'm here now."

"Yes it does," he argued. "You lied to me."

"No, I didn't," Avery countered as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Look, I was going to go back to my room, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I did see something in the parking lot, so I went to check."

Julian's eyes narrowed. "And?"

"Grace was there," she said quietly.

He stared at her, there was something in his eyes, Avery could not quite place. Betrayal maybe? But she didn't get why he would feel that way. 

"So what?" he asked bitterly. "You've been with her this whole time?"

Avery clenched her jaw. "She's not so bad," she said quietly. "Honestly, if things were different, we probably would have gotten along from the start. We went to the diner she works at and we had all this food and so many milkshakes too. She told me all these stories about her. We actually have so much in common. We just lost track of time," she tried to explain.

Julian did not seem to agree as he still stood in front of her with his arms crossed. "And you think that staying out with her was okay?" he asked. "You missed the History test and two other classes."