42: Generational Hurt

Uncle Mark was sitting outside on his patio. He seemed to be working on something but Avery didn't care. He noticed her, or more in particular, her angry expression.

"We need to talk," Avery demanded.

He noticed her anger, and slowly nodded. He moved some things off the other patio chair for her. Avery sat down across from him.

"I want the truth," Avery explained. "I don't care if you're embarrassed about it or you think it will be hard for me to hear. I've lost both my parents now, I think I'm entitled to a little honesty."

Uncle Mark stared at her harsh expression for a moment before he agreed.

"Okay, what do you want to know?" he asked.

Avery took a deep breath. "Why did she want to get to know me?"

Uncle Mark looked reluctant to answer that but eventually told her. "Avery, I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Grace had always found herself in trouble with money. I'm sure her friends could confirm this, she was always begging them for help, but my best guess is that she hoped to get a part of your inheritance if she became involved in your life."

Avery held in the anger she was feeling and asked her next question. "Did she ever really want me or my dad?"

Uncle Mark sighed. "Maybe at one point, but for the most part Grace has always only cared about herself."

Avery took deep breaths as she tried to keep her composure.

"Avery, I really don't want to hurt you."

"You're not," Avery said quickly. "Next question. Did my dad know she cheated on him with you?"

Uncle Mark grimaced. "Yes."

"Did you know Carly?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Do you know Carly?"

"She does my hair," Avery answered.

Uncle Mark must have just now taken in Avery's new hair. He nodded."She was close with Grace."

"Carly gave me a box of Grace's things," Avery told him.

Uncle Mark looked at her curiously. "What was in it?"

She shrugged. Avery didn't feel like telling him she threw it out. He studied her for a moment.

"You didn't open it?"

She shook her head. "Do you still love her?" she asked quietly.

Uncle Mark took a while to respond.

"Avery, you have to understand Keith and Grace were the only people I ever considered family. My mom, your grandmother died when we were young and my dad was too busy running Hartfield to care about me. I ruined my relationship with Keith and she was the only person who would still talk to me," he explained. "But no, I'm not in love with her anymore, I haven't been for a long time, but that doesnt mean I wasn't upset when she died."

"I hate that I still care," Avery admitted.

"Me too," he replied softly.

Avery sighed. "I don't want to go to her funeral, quite frankly, I never want to think about her again, but someone should know that she would want to be cremated," Avery said quietly.

Uncle Mark looked at her curiously.

"How do you know that?" he asked.

"She mentioned it, she said that the place where we spread my dad's ashes was a beautiful place to say goodbye," Avery mumbled.