28: Changes

On Sunday, after a winter break filled with fun and reminiscing of the past, Avery thought she was prepared for whatever Nikki was going to throw at her. Avery knew what she had done was wrong, she knew Nikki had every right to hate her, she knew that whatever Nikki said or did came out of genuine hurt; however, what she found Nikki doing was the last thing she expected to see.

Avery had just walked into the dorm when she heard the soft thuds of things being thrown around on the third floor. She had figured it was someone's room getting searched and didn't think much of it. It was only when she saw Merriwether helping someone on the second floor that she grew nervous. If Merriwether was on the second floor, then whatever was happening on her floor was definitely not a room being searched. When she got to the third floor, Avery was surprised to see random possessions being thrown out of her and Nikki's room. She saw Chelsey standing in the hall amongst other girls who were also watching on and Avery wearily went over to her.

"What is going on?" Avery asked, her voice on edge.

Chelsey pressed her lips into a line.

"Chelsey," Avery demanded.

"Nikki is throwing all your things out of your room," she said finally.

Avery's jaw dropped. "She's doing what? Is she trying to kick me out of the room or something?"

Chelsey shrugged. "I don't really think she can, but she sure as hell is trying."

Avery felt sick to her stomach. 

"What do I do?" Avery asked Chelsey nervously.

"First things first, I would start getting your things, I was putting some in a box as she threw them, but a lot of it is still in the hallway. I kind of gave up when she practically threw a textbook at my head," Chelsey explained.

"You didn't try to stop her?" Avery asked.

"Do you want to try to stop her?" Chelsey asked back. "I'd rather not get hit with a textbook again," she muttered.

Avery sighed. It was no use but Avery knew she should still try. She went over to her room with Chelsey following close behind.

"She really needs to chill, it wasn't even that big a deal," Chelsey muttered behind her. "It's not like you fucked or anything and besides Julian's always been a player."

Avery wanted to agree, although she was not about to admit that to Nikki. Avery suddenly ducked as one of her picture frames went flying out of the room.  It had missed her head by inches and when Avery turned back she found the frame shattered and a photo of her father scratched by the shattered glass. Avery bit the inside of her cheek and she and Chelsey went into the room. Nikki glared at the two of them once she saw them.

"Get out," she demanded at once.

"Can we please talk, Nikki?" Avery pleaded.

"I don't want to talk," Nikki said angrily. "I want you to leave, I want your stuff out of here, and I never want to see or hear from you again."

Avery sighed. "I'm sorry, Nikki, I really am, what will it take to get you to forgive me?"

Nikki walked over to where Avery was standing. "Go back in time and never come to this school," she shouted in her face.

"Oh come on, Nikki, that is a tad extreme don't you think?" Chelsey chimed in.

"You can join her," Nikki said angrily.

"What is going on here?"

All three girls looked to the entrance where Merriwether was standing looking at the mess of Avery's things in the hallway.