Chapter 38

Doc finishes the baby pink cast with an assuring smile, giving me a small par before leaving the room. I felt like a fool. I'd assumed my leg to be broken worst case scenario, turns out it actually is, the adrenaline blocked the pain and due to the way it's broken I was able to still use it.

"This is going to take weeks to heal." I exhale heavily, a little at ease because of the low dose of pain meds I'm on.

My leg doesn't hurt in all honesty, it's my stomach and ribs that are throbbing every time I so much as breath a little heavy.

"Where did you get the bracelet?" Hardin voice is quiet, and I could hear it in his voice that he's remembering his little sister. The memories, the day she gave it to him.

"Your parents, they wanted me to have it in hope that it would give me sanity if you didn't come back from the war." I say softly, uncertain of how he'll react.

"I can take it off." I offer quickly, lifting my leg to untie it. The last thing I want is to make him feel uncomfortable, or drag up painful memories.

"No." Hardin's hand gently rests on my knee, stopping me.

"This bracelet holds a lot of meaning for my parents...for me, if they gave this to you then you have every right to wear it." Hardin says gently, exhaling lightly before turning his full attention to me.

I felt guilty. Like I'd taken something important from him, or intruded on a memory that I shouldn't have.

"Are you sure?" I frown.

Hardin just gives me that famous Alpha Stone stare, the one that tells me questioning his decision is pointless. I'm not submissive by any means, but if he's ok with me wearing the bracelet then who am I take it off?

"When can I go home?" I question, deepening my frown.

Is he going to keep me here until I'm healed?

"As soon as you're ready, I've made all the arrangements with Jackson and the pack." Hardin responds with a small smile, kissing my knuckles affectionately.

He's so cute.

"Arrangements for what?" I quiz, a little lost. Does he think I'm staying here?

"When you're ready to go home, I'm coming with you. Jackson will be coming here and helping Zed and Beck tend to the pack." He explains nonchalantly, like being away from his pack isn't a big deal.

"Wait, you trust Jackson with your pack?" I couldn't help but snort a little.

Jackson is responsible, buts he's also very childish. He'll have the teens running wild within a day, and Hardin takes their training very serious.

Hardin gives a slight grunt. "Zed is going to keep him close." I'm going to assume it was Jackson's idea to come here and help with the pack, probably assuming it'll give me and Hardin time to ourselves.

Remind me to thank him?

"You're a home person, Hardin, I can't ask you to come with me." I say with a small frown, shaking my head slightly.

"You are the most important person in my life, Katalayha, home is wherever you are." Hardin states in that Alpha like tone.

A little cheesy, I admit, but I'd be lying if I said my soul didn't melt just a little. I mean, he really is beautiful, I've always known that but I guess that with time I just forgot how good of a person he is.

And the way he says Katalayha? Can you say hot mess?

"I would totally pinch your cheeks right now if I could be bothered to lift my arms." I tell him, a slight snigger on my face.