Chapter 20 - Part A

"What about how to train your dragons three?" My father offers, squinting slightly at the flatscreen like it's not seven five inch.

"Whatever Cami wants to watch." I shrug, glancing down at my phone as it vibrates again. Hardin's name flashing across the screen, and like the other seven times, I ignore his call.

"Start it without me, I have to take the horses into the stables." I say quietly, not wanting to distract Cami as she finally settles down with her lambic and juice beaker.

"Ok." Lisa smiles.

Leaving my phone behind, I force my fluffy socks into my doc martins, not bothering to lace them up before heading outside. With the sun beginning to fade, I search the field and spot them both near the stables, grazing the grass.

So I head over, taking Aurora in first and then Apollo. I only half shut the stable door, grabbing some brushes as I head into the pony's stall first and begin brushing her fluffiness back out. Aurora loves bananas and honey, so I give her a little once I'm finished before moving onto Apollo.

He's far more relaxed these days, happy to have more freedom to run around, especially because there's another horse with him, even if that horse is technically well under a third of his size.

"How about some braids?" I say with a small sigh, grabbing the oils once I've brushed him out and running it through his thick silky mane and tail.

Instead of braiding his tail, I grab the scissors and crouch behind him, cutting off only an inch or so and making it perfectly straight. Then I braid his mane, giving him scratches and strokes in between.

It takes me a while, and to be honest I don't rush. It's nice to be out of the house, it's still weird seeing Kade all loved up.

Sometime after dark I exit the stables, turning off the lights and sliding the door shut. The lights outside the barn allow me enough light to see where I'm going. My eyes focus on the grass, trying to make sure I don't step in any horse shit.

Until I hit something warm, something...familiar.

Oh fuck. I thought instantly, freezing on the spot as I slowly look up.

"I figured you weren't about to answer my calls, so here I am." Hardin's tone is eerily calm, and that tells me he's angry.

Pissed off that I've been ignoring him.

"Moments passed." I smile bitterly, stepping around his large body.

"It wasn't what you think, Katalayha, we were-"

"I told you to not bother calling back, and instead you choose to turn up on my doorstep?" I ask with anger in my voice, cutting him off because I don't want to hear whatever he has to say.

Hardin narrows his silver eyes down at me. "You called me." He argues.

Dick.

"I did, and it won't happen again. So run back to your little alpha-female-wannabe, wouldn't want to leave her high and dry." I mock icily, storming past him and towards my house.

Childish? Maybe. Bothered? Nope.

"My alpha female wannabe?" Hardin snorts with laughter, a sound that resonates deeply through the country air, a sound I've missed so fucking much.

"That's cold, even for you." He muses.

I spin around sharply, glaring up at him like he's not a whole foot and a half taller than me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snap.

Hardin glances me over, his eyebrow raising slightly.

"It means that you're bitter about a woman that I have zero interest in taking to bed." He states with a hint of amusement in his deep voice.