Chapter 48

"How are you feeling?" Hardin sits at edge of the bed, carefully tipping a glass of water against my lips.

"Not so hot." I admit with a tired smile, my body aching like a bitch. To go with the pain, I'm also irritable, I can't stop sweating for the life of me, and I'm as thirsty as a dog in summer heat.

So everything's dandy.

"I knew this was a bad idea." He exhales, shaking his head.

"It's been a day, it'll get better. Besides, if Roman turns up I'll just say I'm sick." My voice is quiet as I rest against the pillows again.

"Kade, Cami and Lisa have landed safely, Dom is collecting them as we speak. Zed is making sure Jackson and everyone at home are out of the way if Roman turns up." Hardin tells me softly, easing some worry.

"That's good." I whisper, eyelids heavy.

"I'll run a cold bath, try and bring your temperature down." I hear him saying, I just hum in response.

It all feels distant as I close my eyes, I could hear the water running but it echoes, like I'm right next to it and far away. It feels like I'd blinked, and suddenly Hardin is lowering me into freezing cold water, that snaps me awake pronto.

"Fuck!" I whimper, gripping his arm so hard that I could feel my nails cutting into his skin. But I couldn't let go, the water enveloping my entire body feels like the Antarctic Ocean.

"I know, love...I know." He soothes, brushing his fingers through the top of my hair with his free hold, holding me with the other.

"Try and relax, the more you tense up the worse it will feel." He murmurs.

He's right of course, but to seize up your body is a natural response to something so cold.

"Is Winter still here?" I ask, my teeth banging together slightly as I shiver.

"No, she didn't want her scent lingering in case a Roman drops by, she told me to tell you that she loves you, and that you've got this shit." Hardin smiles slightly, and I laugh, despite being partially breathless.

"What do you t-think of her mate?" I quiz.

"I haven't judged him yet. I trust Winter, and I trust that she's chosen someone good for herself." Hardin says, and I see the look on his face.

He refused to even look at Winter when she arrived on pack land, and he defended her simply because I did. But now it's different, he sees her as family, a daughter figure despite her being practically an adult.

"He was l-l-looking at m-me like I'm bi-polar." I breathe with a faint smile.

Hardin chuckles, reaching over and turning on the hot tap. The instant chill vanishes near my feet, even though I know the water is still pretty cold, it doesn't feel so bad with a touch of heat to it. He turns it off after a minute, but my teeth stopped banging together so that's a plus.

I lay in the water for a while, Hardin stays with me without complaint. Until the sweating returns to a minimum, only then does Hardin lift me out.

I strip naked and wrap a towel around myself, my skin numb with the cold.

"I'm starving, do you want something to eat?" I offer, holding my towel as I head for the door.

"I'll cook, what do you want? Burger?" He offers, quickly heading past me so that I don't have the chance to get in the kitchen and start slaving away.

"No, not burgers." I immediately feel sick at the thought.

"I want something spicy, something...curry! Yeah, I want curry, with rice and chips and-" I pause as I realise Hardin is staring at me.