Chapter 65

"So she's going to go through with it?" Zed questions Hardin with a reasonable frown.

"I think so, she's just...she doesn't want to take that risk." Hardin exhales.

He hadn't been himself since Kali went home, and not all because she'd left either. This decision to completely remove all hopes of them having a pup, it's taking a toll on Hardin. He's torn between doing the right thing and sticking by her, and doing what every Alpha would in this situation and walk away before it's too late.

"You need a heir, for the pack, for your family." Zed frowns slightly, understanding why his Alpha female would do this, but still not agreeing with it.

"I tried to talk her down, we um...we spoke to a couple of specialists, human ones so that she'd feel more secure." Hardin admits to his best friend.

Right now they're now Alpha and Beta, but two men that have stuck by one another for ten years or so. The history between them is what makes Hardin so open with him, he trusts Zed.

"Still nothing." Zed guesses, seeing the look on his friends face.

Zed had only ever seen Hardin truly fall apart once, when Kali left everyone behind. But this was different, it was almost like part of Hardin was angry at Kali. He didn't want to be, he didn't want to blame her, but the fact that she told him of her plans only after she decided it for herself, is what angers him.

"Alpha, your phone." Beck hands Hardin his phone, and while Hardin takes the call, Beck and Zed talk over tonight's patrolling guards. It's their first time on the outskirts of the land, Zed wants to play a little prank on them.

As Beck laughs, Hardin lets out a growl of frustration and irritation, immediately silencing Beck and Zed.

"Was that Kali?" Zed questions wearily, sensing his Alphas divided emotions.

Hardin shakes his head slightly. "It was Doctor Eleanor...she wanted to confirm payment for the surgery tomorrow."

His voice is a mere whisper, his biceps bulging as he grips the back of his leather chair. Knuckles white, and neck turning red as he attempts to remain calm.

"Tomorrow?" Zed stammers. "You're paying for it?"

"Kali missed her call so she called me." Hardin mutters, his anger getting the better of him as his silver orbs flash searing crimson.

"You knew she was doing it though." Zed is utterly confused as to why Hardin is suddenly so angry.

"Not tomorrow I didn't." Hardin snarls.

"I can't believe she's going through with it, I get why, I just think she might be rushing into it for a reason." Beck chimes in, always the voice of wisdom when needed.

Hardin's eyes snap to Becks, realising that he might be right.

Kali has time, why is she doing this so soon? So fast?
Hardin couldn't help but wonder.

"Sitting around isn't going to get me answers." Hardin growls, snatching his keys and storming out of his office with every intention to interrogate the woman he adores with his whole heart.

Even if she is annoying as hell, stubborn as a mule, hot tempered, and on occasion, a tad psychotic. Hardin has always known he'd do anything for her, but it seems perhaps asking for same in return isn't a good idea. He didn't want to be selfish with her, or cruel, he knows why she wants this. But at the same time he knows in his heart that he doesn't.

***

***

~ Kali's POV ~

"Yes, I'm aware that we had an agreement-"