▪︎ Bucky Barnes - Where Am I? ▪︎

▪︎ This is based off of my OC I have for Bucky. Just know for backstory, you used to work for Hydra (in the 1940s), but when you tried to turn on them, they found out and held you captive. You ended up meeting Bucky and the two of you ended up being brainwashed together. ▪︎

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

My eyes slowly open. I can see the sun peering in through the curtains. I stretch myself out and lift up my head, letting my eyes finish adjusting. I look around and suddenly feel my heart pounding. I don’t know where I am. I don't even know how I got here. I throw the blankets off of me and look around. Suddenly, walking out of another room, I spot a man.

“You’re awake...” He mumbles. I know him, but I don’t remember who he is. I look down, I’m in a dirty suit, covered in dried blood, ash, and dirt. The man throws clean, normal clothes at me. “I didn’t know what size you were, but I thought I should get you some clothes along with mine. I get up off the bed and go change, staying silent the whole time. My mind continues to think, trying to remember something, anything. Only three things flash in my mind. Me in a cell, me fighting, and me on a test table. I walk out of the bathroom. “Those seem to fit well.” The man says, slightly proud of himself for picking the right clothes.

“What’s happening?” I ask, panicked and frantic. I make my way back over to the bed and sit at the edge. The only things I can think of are bad things.

“You don’t remember me?” He asks. He sits down, staring at me. He looks at me, wishing I would know who he is. I look at him intently. The first thing that pops into my brain is, ‘The Winter Soldier,’ but then, instead, I mumble something different.

“Bucky?” I mutter.

“Yeah.” He smiles. “Do you remember your name?” I shake my head no. I don’t really remember anything about myself. “You’re (Y/N).”

“How did we get here? Why can’t I remember anything?” I ask, trying to grasp onto what’s happening. Bucky sighs, I can tell he’s getting tense.

“We got away from them... Just like we planned all those years ago.” He says, grabbing my hand lightly. Suddenly, my memories come flooding back into my head. It’s as if I’m reliving it. It’s so realistic. One after the other, crime after crime, experiment after experiment, brain wipe after brain wipe. Suddenly, I’m in a cell, with someone who looks like Bucky. Guards from Hydra surround us. I crawl over to him.

“They’re going to wipe our memories, that’s one thing I’m sure about, but no matter what, we will get out of here someday.” I tell Bucky, who tries his best to hide his fear and sadness and instead smiles at me, lightly grabbing onto my hand. Suddenly I’m back where I was. Bucky now has his arms around me, making sure I’m okay.

“How did we get away from them? Are they gone for good?” I say, holding onto Bucky and not letting go. The fear takes over my body, I tremble.

“We ended up fighting some people and went ‘missing.’ I guess when we hit our heads, the hypnosis went away, and since we aren’t with Hydra, they can’t just wipe our memories. As for if they’re gone for good, I’m not sure. We need to be careful out on the streets though, people are out for us. We’re criminals.” Bucky explains. He gets up from the bed letting me go. I quickly grab onto his arm, still shaking a bit.

“Are you okay?” I ask. I pull myself up from the bed and stand in front of Bucky. He stands there silent for a moment, not wanting to answer.

“I’m hanging in there. A few memories are a bit blurry and I can’t stop thinking about Hydra, but I’m safe and I’ve got you.” He smiles the best he can. “You’re the only person who knows what I’ve gone through and you’ve been by my side since all of this started. That's one thing I remember perfectly."

“Even though most of what we’ve done is a crime.” I blurt out. Bucky nods and sighs sadly.

"We're done with that. We're gonna be better. No more of that, brain washing and manipulation from those monsters who took us." I grab onto both of his hands, even the metal one. He stares down at my hands and I see a tear fall from his eye. I wipe it away and hug him.

I can tell he's in pain, he's traumatized, and hurt. I've seen what he's gone through and I sure as hell know about it, just as he said.

"We're gonna get through this, together, just as we always have." I mumble only loud enough for him to hear. I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him tightly.