The Treasure

Winter soon came, with the snowfall turning everything on land white. It was a beautiful and serene sight; although that quiet part was soon interrupted with an overly enthusiastic Chrome shouting, "Awesome! I have an idea! We can go deep into the caves farther than we could with torches! Isn't that right?!"

"Yes." answered Senku flatly. "With batteries and light bulbs, we could go ten billion times deeper."

"There must be a lot of magical stones deep in the cave." continued the determined brunette. "Let's have a scientific expedition. We'll find some great resources! Senku, I can't beat you and Rikona in science. But I'm more experienced than you when it comes to expeditions."

"I'm sure." responded the said man while picking his right ear with a pinkie, clearly the opposite of Chrome's excitement. "You've had years at it."

Adorning a headlamp and a basket strapped to his back, Chrome snapped around and asked, "What do you need? I, the expedition leader, will bring them to you. There must be a lot of materials in the roadmap for the mobile phone that we don't have, right?"

"Right, the missing materials..." But instead, Senku had a blank smile plastered to his face as he stated, "There isn't any."

"There isn't any?!" cried Chrome with disbelief.

"We have everything." added the green-haired man. "We've got everything in the missions we worked hard to accomplish."

"Is an expedition even necessary?" wondered Kohaku who had her arms crossed. "We're short of manpower right now."

"I bet he just wants to go exploring, now that he has some new gear." muttered Ginro with a look of deadpan. But Chrome could hear him as he looked at him with blue lines all over the side of his face, clearly embarrassed that he was called out.

Rikona let out a chuckle as she walked by while carrying a basket of small glass jars. "We do need a lot of copper, though." she said. "There's no telling how much we're going to use during our next crafting session."

That sparked back his motivation. "Alright!" he stammered, eagerly agreeing with her. "That's it! Leave it to me!" With that, he turned around and dashed off while yelling out of excitement.

"Come back soon." added Senku. "Return by next week, before the New Year."

"So what will this crating session be?" questioned Kaseki eagerly. "I want to finish it before Chrome returns to give him a surprise."

"An upgraded version of the light bulb." replied Senku.

"Oh ho!" Now the artisan was even more excited. "Making light bulbs is hard enough. This is so exciting."

"We're making computer eggs." added the green-haired man. "The gears of electrons. The vacuum tubes."

"Vacuum tubes?" repeated Gen while watching Kaseki casting the molten glass into a light bulb. "Finally, here comes something that I know nothing of. I've heard of it before. But I don't know what exactly it does."

"They emit electrons at high temperatures, letting us control the direction of the current and making it stronger." explained Senku while Rikona connected the filament to the metal connectors, like what she did for the light bulbs. "Just think of it as the gears of the electricity world. It's the core of a mobile phone." Once everything was set up, she placed a piece of mineral on top of the filament before the bulb was sealed.

"It seems to require a lot of work." commented Kaseki as Senku connected the light bulb to the circuit. "But isn't it almost the same as making the light bulb?"

"Yes, but since it is called a vacuum tube, we really need to remove the air." explained the scientist. "In other words, we have to get rid of the air completely. So we added phosphorus to the filament, where it will heat it up. When it burns up, it can absorb the air around it." But after he flipped the switch, the phosphorus burned for a short while before the bulb cracked, eliciting gasps from the Spartan Crafts Club members.