Chapter 14

It was good to see Sasha again. I really needed it. I spent the rest of my week in a certain routine: get up, go for a run, go to McLaren for the simulator and winter test data analysis, go to the golf club with my friends, come home, shower, and go to sleep. It was an exhausting routine, but it kept me busy and pretty far away from my big house. Soon I found myself on the day of the return to Bahrain. It was a long flight without Astrid. I spoke with Charlotte and Jon to finalise my weekend schedule. When we landed in Bahrain, it was late here but also in France. So, I decided to send a little message to Astrid. She revised every day between her classes and every night. I didn't want to disturb her.

'Hello, sweetheart, I arrived at the hotel. I wanted to call you, but I don't want to disturb you in your revision for your exams. If you want to call me, you can. I'm going to eat; I love you beautiful. Lan'.

I didn't get a reply, but I wasn't too surprised. I left to eat with my team. Zak then asked me about my week, "So Lando, how was your week? ". "It went well, it was a little routine all week. "I replied. "A routine? You're not the type to have a routine. What's going on? No, don't answer, you miss Astrid, and you feel lonely at home? ". I was surprised that he understood so quickly. "Yes, that's about it... But it's going to get better now. ". We finished our meal in good spirits, all delighted that the season was finally starting. We each went up to our hotel room. I went for a hot shower to relax all my muscles after the long journey I had just made. When I came out of the shower, I saw that I had an answer from Astrid.

SWEETHEART

Hi sweetheart, I arrived at the hotel safely. I wanted to call you, but I don't want to disturb your exams. If you want to call me, you can. I'm going to eat; I love you beautiful. Lan.

Hey baby. I'm so glad you made it. I was actually studying. By the time we get to France, I think you've gone to bed. I'll do the same. Good night, my love. I love you!

No, I'm not asleep, I was in the shower. Good night my darling, I love you. See you tomorrow.

I plugged in my phone, set my alarm, and went to bed. When I woke up, I saw that I was early. Early for media day, isn't that fantastic... I was texting my sweetheart.

'Good morning, beautiful. I'm awake now, 1 hour before my alarm. I'm taking advantage of this free time to send you a little message. I want you to know that you are the most beautiful, intelligent, sweet, and caring person. I also want you to know that you are loved. I wish you well on your day sweetheart. I love you. With all my love, Lan.'

I hoped she would be pleased. I went downstairs to have my breakfast. Before that, I stopped at Jon's room. He opened the door, greeted me, and informed me that he and Rupert had arranged to have breakfast together, along with Carlos. We arrived in the breakfast room. I saw Carlos and Rupert sitting at a table at the back of the room. Jon and I went to help ourselves to tea/coffee, cereals, fruit... We then joined Carlos and Rupert. I said hello to them and sat down. I had my back to the entrance; Carlos was opposite me with Jon at his side and Rupert at mine. We were chatting quietly. "So Lando, how are things with Astrid? I haven't seen her yesterday, or today..." Carlos asked me. "She is in France; she has to revise for two exams she has to take next week. Everything is fine between us. "I answered with a sad little smile. Carlos didn't answer and just smiled at me. He looked at Jon and they smiled at each other. Those two are always ready to join forces to tease me. Breakfast passed quietly. Carlos looked over my shoulder and smiled at someone, probably a member of the Ferrari team. I was still eating my pancakes when I heard someone greet us. "Hello everyone, how are you?" I swallowed hard when I heard the voice, I would know it anywhere. I looked up to see Carlos, Jon and Rupert smiling at me, each of them had a very, very big smile. I turned around and saw my beautiful girlfriend. "Astrid, what are you doing here?" I asked her. "If I've been avoiding you for a while this week it's because I could finish my revisions and come here this weekend" she answered. "But I thought you had exams on Monday..." she answered. "In fact, I received an email last weekend informing us that the test had been moved to the next day because there were repairs to be made in our exam rooms. So, Carlos, Jon and Rupert organised this surprise. It was their idea."