Chapter 40

Zandvoort was Max's grand prix, no doubt about it. He wasn't at the top of the timesheet on Friday, but he was definitely there on Saturday and even more so on Sunday. Saturday was a difficult day for me. I went out in Q2, but I couldn't do any good laps as 2 red flags marked the end of the session, and I was 13th... I was a bit upset when I got out of the car, but it was partly my fault: I should have set a good time from the beginning of the session. I arrived in the McLaren motorhome; I went straight to the cafeteria as I was really hungry. I felt two arms around my waist and someone whispering in my ear. "You did your best, don't blame yourself. These are unfortunate circumstances... You'll come back stronger next week. And you can still get back on track tomorrow..." I heard my sweetheart say. I turned and kissed her tenderly. She was always my ally, even in the most difficult moments.

The race was rather calm, it crowned Max with success. I was so happy for him. He deserved this victory, in front of his fans. I hadn't even crossed the finish line when I knew he had won. Orange smoke was everywhere in the air. The Dutch fans are just awesome! I scored 1 point. It's not much, but it's still good, it keeps me in 4th place in the championship. Max was on cloud nine. I was watching him up there on the podium with the Dutch flag. He was our little Prince of Holland. I think I can say that he was emotional to be on the top step of the podium in front of the King and all the Dutch people. Our Lion! Our majestic Lion! It was magnificent!

 Our Lion! Our majestic Lion! It was magnificent!

After celebrating Max's victory, we went to Italy

After celebrating Max's victory, we went to Italy. Carlos and Charles had managed to arrange a visit to the Ferrari Museum for Tris on Monday. I was, of course, not welcome but we arranged for the visit to be at the same time as my day at Sparco for the 25-year partnership with McLaren. When we met up again, she seemed happy.

"How was your visit day?"

"It was great, Carlos and Charles are very good guides. The place is just beautiful. I'm sorry you can't visit it because you're on an opposing team. But I understand the logic... What about you? Your day at Sparco?"

"It went well. It really did. Surprisingly, Daniel and I had a great time.

She laughed and snuggled into my arms on the bed. She settled down under the duvet and fell asleep quickly. It was only 3pm but she had a plane to catch at 6pm. She had a class the next morning...