Chapter 43

The return from Sochi, I admit, was difficult. Tris had to leave me on Monday morning so she could go to her Monday night class, and I had to go to Italy to inaugurate my own go-kart! I had worked so hard on it that I couldn't wait to see what it looked like in real life! It would cheer me up at least... At least that's one thing I could have done...

When Tris called me on Monday night, she was so upset...

Good evening my love, how are you?

Good evening Lan. I'm pissed! My teacher is such a jerk! He manages to give us 2 opposite methodologies in less than 5 minutes! And we're supposed to do an exercise for next week, but it has to be handed in on Friday evening, just like the morning group, except that the morning group has Monday to do it, and my group doesn't! It's not fair! He's getting on my nerves... Sorry, sweetheart, how was your day? Did you get to go to the factory yet?

Hey, it's ok, you have a right to be upset, and I'm not going to forbid you to be angry at something or someone when you see my reaction yesterday after the race... But otherwise, no I haven't been to the factory yet, I'm expected there tomorrow at 10am and then I have a press conference at 11am and finally I'm going to the karting circuit at 2.30pm. I'm so excited for everyone to hear about it!

I understand you a little bit... Oh wait, someone is knocking on my door! I'll be right back.

She got up and went running. I heard a male voice talking to her in French. Jealousy overwhelmed me and I felt like hanging up with stupid thoughts:

Is she cheating on me when I am not with her in Douai? Does she still love me, or does she stay with me just for her image? Would she be willing to leave me for a boy with a life more like hers? Does she find it difficult to deal with the fact that we aren't often with each other?

I wondered too much while she was just talking to a boy. I was so mentally fragile, but I refused to admit it to her and now I doubted her... I had to talk to Carlos right away... Luckily, I was not far from Maranello. I can't get off the phone with Tris so I'm going to send a message and ask him if I can come over. And I just have to pray that he sees my message and answers it. Fortunately for me, the answer came quickly.

CARLOTA (AKA MUPPET) 🏎

Hi Carlos, I'm sorry to bother you but would you be at home (in Italy I mean) I need to talk to you about something... It's urgent!

Hi Lan, yes, there's no problem for you to come but I'm stuck at home so tell me what time your flight arrives so I can ask Charles to pick you up.

No, I'm already in Italy, I'll be there in 10 minutes.

Okay, see you soon.

And it was the surprise of the century for him, I can imagine. I knew he would ask me why I was already in Italy. And I think I'd be happy to tell him. I also had to send a message to Jon. We were planning to go running tonight.

JON (AKA THE DEVIL INCARNATE) 😈

Jon, I'm off to Maranello, I'm going to Carlos's. I'm sorry, but I won't be here to run tonight. I promise to reschedule for tomorrow. I just need to talk to Carlos urgently tonight. I'll be on time tomorrow, I swear.

You're annoying. But you can go. Anyway, even if I hadn't agreed, you'd have gone. Say hello to Carlos and Rupert. See you tomorrow.

Jon was really understanding with me. Maybe too much sometimes, but deep down I loved him for it. After all, what would I do without him? I was so looking forward to being at Carlos' house. I got off the phone with Tris who was still talking (for 5 minutes anyway). I wrote her a message saying I was going to see Carlos but not giving the real reason. The answer came as I was getting into my car. The disconnection must have caught his attention.