Chapter 37

P6, that's my qualification... Well, it's not so bad: I can attack at turn 1 to position myself well for the rest of the race and make another top 5. Saturday evening consisted in reassuring my beloved and giving her back her confidence. She allowed me to sleep with her again. She snuggled up to me and I wrapped my arms around her. I didn't know what was going through her mind, but I would be there for her, always!

The Sunday morning wake-up call was quite violent: the ringing of the telephone woke me up with a start. I picked up the phone and whispered.

Hello?

Hi bro! How are you doing?

Oliver! It's okay, you just woke me up.

Oh, sorry. Why are you even whispering?

Because Tris is asleep next to me.

Okay. How's she doing?

She's recovering slowly. She won't talk to me about it now, but I'm giving her time.

She's not distant?

No, on the contrary, she takes refuge next to me as soon as she's not feeling well. She doesn't want to be alone...

I understand that. Well, that's not why I'm calling you... You have to promise me that you'll stay calm when I tell you.

I'll try.

So yesterday afternoon, Cisca had a contest.

Yes, I'm aware of that. That was the whole weekend, right?

Yeah, but her horse refused, and she fell off.

Oh, is she OK?

Yes and no... She was taken to hospital; she sprained her wrist.

WHAT!?! Why didn't you tell me earlier?!?

Because you're in Hungary concentrating on getting the best possible result and you had the Tris situation to deal with. I'm calling you against mum and dad's advice by the way!

Lando? Is everything okay?

Everything's fine, sweetheart. Go back to sleep, I'll explain later.

Way to go, Romeo! You woke up your Juliet with your scream. Anyway, she's fine, she won't be able to finish her ordeal but if she's careful and does the exercises the doctors gave her, she'll be back on the horse in no time.

Okay, I'll call her in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

No worries. Will we see you soon? Well, I mean, I'll see you soon, but Mum, Dad, Flo and Cisca would love to see you... You and Tris, for that matter.

I'm going to see if I can come by between Wednesday and Saturday. Tris is going to see her family from Monday to Wednesday, so I think we'll come on Thursday and Friday and then Saturday well, we're going on holiday, so we'll be back in Woking on Friday afternoon. But I'll call Mum and Dad tonight.

Great, I'll leave you to look after your Juliet. No messing about.

Bye, bro.

See you, Lando.

I hung up and saw that Tris was fully awake. As was I.

"So, tell me everything, what's going on?"
"Cisca fell off her horse yesterday during her competition. She sprained her wrist but other than that she's fine."
"If she's okay, that's the main thing. I'll call everyone later today. You said they were worried about me."
"Yes, but you don't have to. Would you come with me if I went to see them next week before we left for Croatia?
"Of course I will if you want me to!"
"Great, thanks sweetheart!"