Chapter 3

Ahana's POV:-

"Here is the wedding dress. Get ready Anu" mama said.

I looked at the red lehnga in my hands. How can I wear something that was not even mine? I can't.

"No mama, I am not gonna wear this. It was sristys. It's wrong of me to wear  this." I said honestly.

Mama and Mrs. Goenka share a look before giving up.

"But Anu then what will you wear. We don't have enough time to get a new dress." Mama tried to convince me.

"I will wear my dress. Just give me the jewelry" I took the jewelry from her and start getting ready.

It took me 30 minutes to get ready. Mama helped in putting all the jewelry.

I look at myself in the mirror. I was wearing my golden lehnga with a simple necklace and maang tika. I had to wear the wedding bangles as it's a ritual.

 I had to wear the wedding bangles as it's a ritual

*****

Everything was too hazy for me to understand. I was barely paying attention to whatever the pandit Ji was saying.

"Now both of you stand for the pheres" Pandit Ji instructed.

Mama helped me getting up and we started walking around the holy fire.

Panditji starts telling us the importance of the ceremony. Oh, God.

"The first round of pheras is all about promising each other nourishment, prosperity, and happiness. The groom promises, 'Om esha ekapadi bhava iti prathaman' which means that he would provide her happiness and food, and take care of her nourishment. The bride complies by enchanting 'Dhanam dhanyam pade vadet.' She promises to look after him and his family and pledges to share responsibilities by helping him look after the home, food, and finances."

"In the second phera, the couple prays to God for physical and mental strength to lead a blissful life. The groom recites 'Om oorje jara dastayaha' to seek strength from the god so that they can protect their house and children'. The bride reciprocates by saying 'Kutumburn rakshayishyammi sa aravindharam' which means that she will be by his side as his courage and strength at every step in life, and encourage him in all his ventures. In return, she asks the groom to love her solely."

"In the third phera, the couple prays to God for wealth and the bride promises that she would be loyal in this matrimonial union. The groom vows, 'Om Rayas Santu Joraa Dastayaha,' which means, I will work hard to become wealthy, provide good education to our children and prays that may our children live long.On the other hand, the bride promises to her husband that she will love him devotedly and all other men will be secondary to her. She enchants, 'Tava Bhakti as Vadedvachacha'."