18 - brutality of what's real

The two boys refused to meet each other's eyes, stubbornly turning the other way, under Minato's deep scowl. Even as they were in trouble, the two of them were still angry. Minato had just spent the last twenty minutes yelling at them for being disruptive and having no shame as shinobi. He was truly embarrassed by the both of his male students. He wondered what could one of them possibly said that had been so offensive that they had to fight about it. As a punishment for them, he made them sit on a tiny stump that was not enough to cover the surface area of an academy student's rear end. He could see the discomfort in them both, but they deserved it.

Despite the visible damage to both of them, they paid no mind to it. Obito had a cut lip, his eye had a bruised right next to it, and his entire suit was dusted. Kakashi, who had taken off his mask when he had to spit, had a nose bleed, which he subdued with a paper towel in in nostril , and his lip still continued to bleed. Both their knuckles were bruised and Obito's skin opened due to his reckless punches that landed on the wall and any other surface other than Kakashi's face.

Minato truly was disappointed. Both in the boys but himself too. It seemed like his fault that both of his own disciples would fight, causing a disturbance in the city. He just didn't expect that the two would be reckless enough to fight each other in someone's shop. He sighed, pinching his nose bridge. He snapped his fingers, getting both of the boys attention. "Why are you two looking sideways?? You're supposed to be paying attention to what I'm saying."

"I can't," Obito rolled his eyes, annoyed that Kakashi sat so close that his arm touched his. "This idiot won't give me any space."

"You're literally taking more than half the stump up, dingus," Kakashi spat, being the first to look at Obito with a glare.

"Put your mask back on," Obito sneered, pulling up Kakashi's mask. "Your ugly face is giving a me a headache to look at."

Kakashi clicked his tongue, pulling Obito by his collar toward him and landed his fist on Obito's cheek, returning the dirty hit he received that started this whole thing. Minato, enraged, pulled the two away from each other before they could start anything again, especially Obito. He was too irritated to deal with teenage boys acting simply on emotions. He had tried his best to explain why the two shouldn't be mad at each other and how to suppress the need to hurt each other in public, but obviously it didn't work. Minato felt a headache coming in. He already assumed the reason for their fight, it was simply the clash of feelings they had for one person. Though he wasn't sure how Obito got his romantic feelings involved since he often saw Obito trying to pursue a different person. Minato could see that Obito wasn't just being jealous, he was angry too. Maybe it was something Kakashi said about Y/n that he didn't like. Minato didn't try to get too involved with their little fit about how they felt for the same person because it simply wasn't his job and he didn't want to be part of Y/n's future heartbreak. Minato wished it was as simple as his romantic affair with his wife, instead of this complicated young love.

"Listen carefully," Minato sighed, pushing both the boys by their shoulders to sit them down on the grass, this time putting a distance between each other. "This fight won't settle who Y/n would choose."

Kakashi felt his ears turned hot and was glad Obito pulled his mask up. He guessed it was obvious that he did have a little something for Y/n. It was just terribly embarrassing that his Sensei would tell him that. Minato knew. Kakashi wanted throw himself in a raging river filled with sharp rocks at this point. He was too caught up in the moment, his pride pricked by the fact that Obito, someone he always considered to be below him, had managed to raise his hand on him. Sure, Kakashi was still angry by the fact that Obito had decided to come clean about how he felt for Y/n out of the blue, but his anger was masked with embarrassment.