Chapter 17- I- What happened exactly?!

Anna shifted to her right shoulder. The constant tapping of the hard, wood-like structure on the cold, marbled floor with a little humming was nagging her. 

"What's going on?" she thought to herself. "Gosh! My head hurts!" she added and pulled up the sheets to cover her face which was being attacked by the morning sunshine. 

"Get up, sleepyhead! It's already 8" a familiar voice called out.

"Ali!" Anna removed the sheets from her face instantaneously. Her eyes bugged out for a second but right after that, they were pressed together tightly. 

"That's too bright!" She put the sheets back on her head. 

Alira giggled as the tiny hill on the bed was a sight for the sore eyes. 

"GaH gah GAhh gaH bwaaaaaaaH" 

Alira's brows furrowed while she judged the girl under the sheets. "What was that?" she fumed. 

"gah GAhh gaH bwaaaH" 

"ANNA!" Alira grumbled. "All I can hear is gagging!" she added. 

"What are you doing in my room?" Anna removed the blanket from her face.

"Oh! That's the English I understand." Alira moved her shoulders to state as obvious. "Speaking of which, You are in my room Ann," she removed her slippers to put on her socks. 

"What the! Is that a wooden slipper? Are you wearing a Khadau?" Anna questioned with a raised brow. 

"That's a clog!" Alira answered as she grabbed the blow dryer. 

"Where did you get it?" Anna got down from the bed to take a clear look at the slippers. 

"That's a souvenir," Alira answered without looking at her. 

"Cool!"  

"Hey, You mind fetching that glass for me?" Alira pointed at her nightstand. 

"Sure!" Anna placed the slippers down and grabbed the glass for Alira. "There you go" 

"It's for you." Alira switched off the blow dryer.

"For me?" Anna was surprised. 

"Yeah! You were wasted. This will help you." Alira turned and gave a small smile to Anna. 

"What?" Anna squawked. "How did I-? What the hell happened?" blood rushed to her cheeks.  

"You drank too much yesterday and I had to come to pick you up". Alira pointed at the glass in Anna's hands, "Finish it fast. We have to leave for the office soon."

"But Ali-"

"I'll tell you everything on our way, Ann. For now, hurry up!" She patted Anna's back lightly. 

     -------------------

"So my mother called you to ask whether I was with you or not?" Anna asked while getting off the bus. 

"Yup," Alira nodded her head.

"And then you called me to check up on me?" 

"Absolutely"

"Also you told my mother that I was with you and we'll head directly for the office from your place?" 

"Oh, Anna! You finally got it" she smiled at her.

"But, I can't understand one thing" Anna stopped walking. 

"Which is?" Alira tilted her head and looked Anna in her eyes. 

"That is who picked up my phone and told you to take me home?" Anna narrowed her eyes while she was trying to recall. 

"I don't know that either! He hung up the call immediately." she glazed. "Anyhow, I am glad that you are safe and that's the only thing that matters to me." she grabbed Anna's hand and tapped them lightly. 

"I am so lucky to have you, Ali!" Anna pulled Ali into a quick-yet-warm hug. 

"Come, or we will be late" Ali patted on her shoulder. 

"Yeah!" Anna broke the hug and started walking beside Alira. "But I can't understand one more thing," she added. 

"Uh-huh, What's that?" Ali enquired. 

"Why do you wear wooden slippers though?" Anna digressed. 

"Are you trying to make fun of me?!" Alira raised a brow. 

"NO" Anna increased her speed. 

"Wait!... I'll kill you, come here!" Alira started running to chase Anna. 

After a long chase and apology, both of them reached their office. Everyone was gathered outside at the entrance. 

"Oh boy! What's happening?" Alira tilted her head.

"I think they all are here to welcome someone. See they all have bouquets in their hands" Anna observed.

"You two are finally here" Jack stated and approached them. "I was starting to think that I might have to summon you to get you here on time." He cackled but stopped immediately. "It wasn't funny, right?" he suppressed his smile. 

"Um, Is there anything special today, Head?" Alira tried to change the topic.

"You people don't know? We were informed about it yesterday in the evening" Jack affirmed.

"We were out to finalize the location and went straight to our homes after that as it was already past 6" Anna pointed out.

"Oh yeah! Right. I must have forgotten to inform you… Anyway, today we would be welcoming the new Chairman. He is the son of the previous one and is about to reach here anytime." Jack articulated.

"Ohh" both the ladies nodded their heads.

"Now, quickly go and take your place" he ordered.

"Sure" Alira nodded her head and dragged Anna with her. 

Alira managed to get a bouquet from one of the colleagues and came back to Anna who was spaced out. "What are you thinking?" she mumbled. 

"Oh! Um, nothing. I just-" 

"Is he here?" a woman in the crowd asked as a nice, exquisite car stopped at the building's entrance. 

"That's an expensive car! That must be his." Another man from the crowd answered. 

Anna tried to take a look at the person who was stepping out of the Ferrari.

“OMG! ALI…" Anna leaned on and whispered in Alira's ear.

"Yup?” she whispered back. 

“He… I met him yesterday!”