Ch 21- Who is this man?

Scratching his forehead, Joel tried hard to suppress the smile that was ready to get etched on his face. At that very moment, his eyes met with those of Anna’s. She was looking fixedly at him. The bewildered look on her face grabbed his attention. His pace slowed down and he looked back into her eyes. 

There were no words, there were no sounds, yet something was said. Something which he knows, something which she knows.      

Anna was trying to track down something. Her gaze was getting intense with every passing second. Joel abruptly averted his head and walked away.

Anna's jaw dropped. 'Why is he avoiding me?' was one of the many questions which were afflicting her soul. 'Should I-' she was trying to think straight when she caught sight of Alira, who was taking a sneak peek at her notebook. "I am going to kill you today," she yelled and ran to nab her secret keeper- her notebook. 

  --------

After successfully taking back the notebook, Anna returned to her desk. Taking her seat, her eyes went to the computer's screen which was displaying the mail from Head. "Oh No! I completely forgot," she murmured and immediately opened the mail. 

"What?" She rolled her eyes in frustration.  Fetching her phone, she hurriedly typed a text. 

_________

From: Anna

To: Alira

Text: I need your help! Get your ass back here quickly.

_________ 

Pressing the 'send' button, she leaned back in the chair, hoping for a quicker reply; which she got indeed. 

_________

From: Alira

To: Anna

Text: GTH! I am still mad at you. 

*Angry emoji* 

And just so you know, my stomach still hurts because of that punch. 

*In insufferable pain emoji* 

_________

Anna pressed her eyes as the realization hit her hard. 

_________

From: Anna

To: Alira

Text: I am sorry Ali. I shouldn't have punched you. Please forgive me. 

*Pout emoji* 

Besides, Head has given a task marked as 'Urgent & Important' so I believe you wouldn't want to make him angry. 

_________

Biting her lip, she pressed 'send'. She fixed her eyes back to the mail, thinking of what to do next. 

Soon, Alira returned to her with 'This-isn't-over-yet' expressions clearly etched on her face. Anna looked up to her and gave her an embarrassed smile.  "What is it?" Alira asked, ignoring Anna's attempt for making a truce. 

Anna gulped. "I am really in trouble this time," she whispered to herself. 

  -------- 

"So? What's the big deal about it?" Alira raised her tone in disbelief. 

"There hasn't been any reply from his side? How am I supposed to work this out without looking desperate!" Anna almost ranted. 

"Call him," Ali uttered, deadpan. She dialed a number and handed the phone to Anna. 

"Are you crazy!" Anna complained as she was caught unawares. “You are totally mad Ali. What am I supposed to say to him?” she whimpered.