14

❝boundless devotion❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

boundless devotion
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ELEANOR WAKES TO POLLY'S FACE HOVERING ABOVE HERS. She gasps in surprise, and then at the pain that wriggles through her arm and spreads a tingling feeling through her shoulder.

"Careful, Ellie." The older woman mutters, helping Eleanor stand up from the chair in the Shelby living room.

She gritted her teeth, giving the woman a grateful nod. Her brown eyes shifted, brows furrowing when she saw no one but Polly. "Where is everyone?"

"Arthur and John passed out at the bar. Ada is with her husband, I presume."

A silence fell between the two women and Eleanor's fingers squeezed tighter in their grip around Polly's arm. "Where is he? Where's Tommy?"

"He's at your house. He," Polly shook her head. "He went there after we buried Danny."

Eleanor winces, her heart aching at the loss of Danny. He was always a good man, he was just another of the millions of good men that hadn't come back the same after the war. She pushes off of Polly, ignoring the woman's calls of her name as she used her good arm to grab Tommy's coat off of the rack and shut the door to the Shelby house tightly behind her.

Setting off at a brisk pace, Eleanor went for her house, the hour late enough that the only other people out were too drunk to notice her rushed pace. She probably wouldn't have cared enough to stop if they had noticed.

When she reaches her house, she enters without pause, locking the door behind her. Her brown eyes search the hall that leads into her kitchen, and she frowns at the sight of the ashtray on the table with three new cigarette butts stubbed out in it.

She passed through the kitchen and went up the narrow staircase, careless of the old creaking floorboards as she went into the first door at the top of the stairs. There, on the edge of her bed, sat Tommy, his head in hands and his shirt half unbuttoned on his chest.

"Thomas,"

His head shot up and she saw the relief, fear, and anger all course through him, flashing like gunfire in his glassy eyes. "Eleanor,"

The relief won out first and he wrapped an arm around her, careful to avoid the fresh wound on her shoulder. Eleanor leaned into him, her eyes fluttering shut as she rested her head on his heart.

Quickly lived, Tommy pulled away from her, now angrily peering down into her eyes. "Eleanor,"

She shook her head, pulling herself from his arms as she shrugged his jacket off of her frame and threw it carelessly across the chaise lounge beside her vanity. "Don't, Tommy. Do not lecture me, or I swear to god-"