15

❝she's the giggle at a funeral❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

she's the giggle at a funeral
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I PROMISED MY FRIEND, FREDDIE THORNE, THAT I WOULD SAY A FEW WORDS OVER HIS GRAVE IF HE SHOULD PASS BEFORE ME."

Tommy stood above the freshly dug grave, keeping his eyes away from his crying sister as his gravelly voice broke the brisk silence that had fallen on the small funeral. "I made this promise before he became my brother-in-law, when we were in France, fighting for the king."

"Amen," Arthur broke his silence, and Tommy nodded at his brother's sentiment.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie. Pestilence took him." The Shelby man paused when John's youngest began to cry, but was quickly comforted and quieted. "But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation before he was cruelly taken."

Clearing his throat, he tore his gaze away from Ada as she began to cry silently. "May he rest in peace."

The sentiment was echoed by the crowd and Tommy quickly backed away, returning to Polly's side as people began to depart. His blue eyes scanned the small group gathered, and he instinctively found Eleanor among them.

Dressed in black, she fit the picture of a mourning woman, but he could see the cold glint in her gaze as she approached Freddie's younger sister, Evie, and Charles Grant, a man Tommy had never bothered liking or even pretending to.

"Not a man of many words, is he, Eleanor." Evie's bitter words started the conversation, and the shorter woman huffed humorlessly at the dig.

"Well, we can't all be like Freddie was. Making false promises to hopeless men with a few big words nobody really understands," Eleanor stuffed her hands into the pockets of her coat, looking up at Charles who just grimaced at the girls' words. He had never understood the relationship they had, and did his best to keep out of their snide conversations for his own sake.

"Nice to see you, Eleanor," He nodded at her, dark eyes gleaming. "I wish it was under better circumstances."

Eleanor smirked, mirroring his nod. "It's been far too long, Charles. We'll have to get lunch soon,"

He began to agree, but his eyes had drifted around and consequently landed on none other than Thomas Shelby, who seemed to want him in the ground more than anyone else at the moment, despite being in a conversation with his aunt and sister. "I, uh, don't want to step on any toes, Eleanor."

The woman waved him off, having noticed Tommy's gaze minutes ago. "Thomas will be fine. He knows we're just friends,"

Charles was sure she was telling the truth, but if the look the man was giving him was anything to go by, it didn't matter how platonic their relationship was. "I'll be in touch soon, Eleanor."