18

❝homecoming❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

homecoming
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ELEANOR GRINNED HAPPILY AS POLLY'S CONFUSED FACE CAME INTO VIEW, THE APPLAUSE AT HER ARRIVAL OBVIOUSLY UNEXPECTED.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Her eyes roam around the shop, but her question is aimed at Eleanor, who poorly feigns innocence as Tommy breaks through the crowd from his office with a cigarette hanging from his lips. Polly's eyes widen at the sight of him, and she turns towards him, trying to disregard her confusion. "When did you get back?"

Tommy lays his arm around Polly's shoulders, blue eyes alight with that same not-so-innocent gleam that Eleanor's had taken on. "I didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol,"

Polly huffs, looking around panickedly as Tommy walks her towards Eleanor. "How'd you know it's my birthday? Nobody ever knows except for Eleanor,"

The girl in question smiles satisfactorily, giving Tommy a childish look that he rolls his eyes fondly at. She leans into Polly's side as they walk her through the shop, the other Shelby brothers just a few steps away. "It's different this year, Pol. We're moving up in the world,"

"And?"

"And we couldn't leave the only one of us with a lick of sense in the dust, could we?"

Polly smirks at Eleanor's words, knowing she was sucking up but also being honest.

"John, Finn, bring the car around," Tommy gestures to his brothers, taking a drag off his smoke.

Polly looks at her nephew, raising a brow. "Where are we going?"

"To unwrap your birthday present," He drops his arm off of Polly's shoulder and falls behind, pulling Eleanor's hand up from her side to lace their fingers together. "After you."

Eleanor grins at Tommy as they walk out of the shop, and he can't help but smile back, her happiness forever deserving of his own.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The houses are identical, and in better shape than anything that sat in the streets of Small Heath, and that automatically makes Eleanor dislike it. God help her, she loved the filth of her home, the comfort of knowing she could do any sort of blasphemy and not have an eye bat in her direction. Here, here the streets are clean and lined with cut grass that gleams under morning condensation.

Two ladies walk down the street, laughing freely without even a glance over their shoulder, or a weight to their strides that indicates they've got a heavy, loaded weapon beneath their coats. They feel safe here, but Eleanor just feels exposed. She expresses as much to Tommy through a simple gaze, and he nods silently, agreeing with her but keeping quiet for Polly's own contentment.