09

❝don't trust the barmaid

don't trust the barmaid.
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I'M SORRY I'M LATE." Eleanor pulled up a chair, smiling at the sight of the crowd of people drunkenly dancing and the sound of fireworks popping in her ears.

Tommy blows out a puff of smoke from his cigarette, his eyes barely drifting from the crowd to acknowledge her. "You left early."

Eleanor has the decency to look sheepish at his comment about her abrupt departure from his room this morning, but it wasn't meant to insult him. "I had things to do,"

Tommy turns his head, quirking a brow at her as he finally looks at her. "Things? Or people?"

Her eyes widen and she grits her teeth, but she subdues her anger to take a deep breath and prevent a fight from erupting between them. Her eyes flickered to Ada as the girl spun circles, gleefully jumping around the fire with her protruding stomach. "Both, if you must know, Thomas. Can they not coincide?"

"Am I allowed to ask who it is, or will you make me figure it out myself?"

She rolls her eyes, laughing slightly. "I'll never tell. If you want to know so badly, you can figure it out on your own."

Tommy clears his throat, the subject dropping as Polly approaches them both with a nod in greeting to Eleanor.

"You should tell Ada to slow down."

Tommy huffs incredulously at his aunt's words. "You think she'll listen to me?"

"I tried stopping her, but she's been drinking." Polly sighs. "She's been stuck in that little basement for weeks, what do you expect? She's going off like a firecracker."

Ada yells as she spins rapid circles and Eleanor nudges Tommy's arm concernedly. "Tommy, please,"

"Come on, now," Arthur's voice comes, clearly trying to calm her down as Tommy rolls his eyes and stands from his chair.

"Ada, come on, have a rest. Sit down."

Ada smiles breathlessly, though it's bitter-looking. "Come look, Esme. Come and look at the family you've joined! Come and look at the man who runs it!" She shoves Tommy's shoulder, drawing eyes.

Eleanor hesitantly stands, her eyes filled with worry as she stands beside Tommy.

"He chooses his brother's wives for them! He hunts his own sister down like a rat, and he tries to kill his own brother-in-law!"

"Ada! Ada, stop!" Eleanor grabs her hands, stopping her from hitting Tommy again as Polly moves behind her, trying to calm her frantic state.

"And now, he won't even let me have a fucking dance! Not even at a fucking wedding!"