Chapter 34: Is That a Threat?

Marinette sits there in shock. This was the last person she had been expecting to see tonight. She looks back at Luka, who is smiling at her with his hand outstretched to her and realizes she hasn't given him an answer.

"Um sure let's dance!"

She takes Luka's hand and he leads her over to the dance floor. He puts his arms around her waist and she follows suit by putting hers around his neck. Due to the slight awkwardness of the situation, theres quite a bit of distance between the two of them.

"You look really nice tonight" Luka says to her, doing his best to break the silence.

Marinette gives a small smile at his efforts. "Thanks you too. I just wasn't really expecting to see you here tonight" she responds to him.

"Juleka dragged me along. She said a social event might cheer me up a little."

So Luka was impacted that day in the locker room. Marinette doesn't say anything to him and just nods. They continue to dance awkwardly in silence.

"Look Marinette, I owe you an apology..."

Marinette quickly responds with "I owe you one too."

Luka smiles at her, "Please let me" he starts, "I'm so sorry for everything I did to hurt you. I was so caught up in being hurt that I was being unfair to you. Teaming up with Lila is one of my biggest regrets, I regretted everything as soon as those words came out of my mouth in that locker room."

He spins Marinette around and she giggles. When the two come back together she responds "I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have lead you on knowing my feelings for Adrien weren't gone. It was wrong of me and I'm sorry I hurt you."

"I just want you to be happy Marinette, that's all I've ever wanted and if he makes you happy then I'll respect that. Even if it hurts me"

Marinette knew she didn't have to answer that statement. They stop dancing for a minute as she pulls him into a quick hug. They then resume their dancing, much more comfortably this time.

Meanwhile, after standing into what Adrien thought to be far too long of a line, he finally has their drinks. He walks towards the bleachers where he was supposed to meet Marinette, only to realize that she's no longer sitting there.

A look of confusion appears on Adrien's face, where could she have gone?

He sees Nino talking to Max, Kim and Ivan close by and walks over to them. "Hey have any of you seen Mari?" he asks.

The four of them look nervously at each other before Nino answers Adrien's question "look dude don't get mad, but she's over there"

Nino puts up a shaking finger to point to where Marinette is. That's when Adrien sees whats happening. He shoves the drinks at Nino to take from him and marches over to the dancing pair.

"Mind if I cut in?" Marinette hears Adrien's voice from behind her.

Oh no this is like deja vu. It's like the park day and the locker room incident all over again. She can't do this again, not here and not now.

"Don't worry about it Adrien. I actually think I need to go outside and get some air right now" she says the the two boys and walks off.

"I'll come with you!" Adrien calls after her and goes to follow her when Luka pulls him back.

Adrien turn around angrily to look at the older boy and yanks his wrist out of his grips.

"Adrien, I owe you an apology too. I said a lot of things to you in the past that I shouldn't have"

Adrien's expression softens at Luka's words. "No let me apologize too. I was way out of line both of those days, I let jealousy get the best of me" He responds.

Adrien is about to turn to go after Marinette when Luka's voice stops him. "Just promise me one thing ok?" Luka says. "Promise me you won't ever hurt her. Don't make the same mistake I did."

Something about Luka saying this to him ignites a spark in Adrien.

"I won't' Adrien says, attitude dripping from the two words. "Marinette means the world to me and I'd protect her with my life if it came down to it"

Adrien takes a step towards Luka, staring him dead in the eyes as he adds one last thing,

"But that means protecting her from you too"

Luka is a little taken back by the harshness of the blonde's words. "Adrien I talked to her, we cleared things up between us"

Adrien only intensifies his glare at Luka. "But that doesn't change what you did to her. You hurt her, more than once and I'm not going to let it happen again" he says, practically growling

"Stay away from Marinette. Got it?"

Luka looks down at the floor and sighs. He looks back up at Adrien, "I will, but not for you. I'm doing this because I know you make her happy and that's what I want for her. I'm not going to do anything to jeopardize that."

"I appreciate that Luka." Adrien put out his hand to Luka and they shake on it.

The two boys nod at each other and Adrien turns to make his way out to see Marinette, only to be stopped by Nino.

"Dude what was that about?" His best friend asks

"Nothing, it's dealt with" Adrien says brushing it off "Did you see where Marinette went?"

Nino points to a door just outside the gym, "she went out towards the courtyard. Is everything ok?"

"Everything is fine don't worry, I think she's just a little overwhelmed. I have to go find her now."

Nino gives his best friend a pat of encouragement on that back as he practically runs towards the door Nino pointed out to him.

"GO GET HER AGRESTE!" Many of his classmates shout after him as he runs out of the school.

That was just his plan.