Chapter 40: Internal Conflict

After leaving Adrien outside, Marinette goes straight to her room and buries herself back in the design she was working on in order to distract her from her anger and what just happened. Tikki flies away to another part of the room to do her own thing, she can see Marinette is upset and just needs a little time.

Despite her intentions for working so hard, Marinette can't seem to get the days events out of her head. All she can think about is her conversation with Adrien and it makes her angry, but she can't help but remember the look on his face when she told him off.

She stands up from her desk and walks over to the window, it was dark outside now, how long had she been working for? Wait! It was dark outside?! She runs over to pick up her phone from her desk to check the time. She's late!

"TIKKI! I WAS SUPPOSED TO MEET CHAT NOIR FOR PATROL ALMOST AN HOUR AGO!" She yells to her kwami, who's frightened at the sound of her owners voice so suddenly.

"Well then lets go Marinette! What're you waiting for?" She says flying over beside the girl

Marinette transforms with a quick "TIKKI! SPOTS ON!" and heads out towards the rooftop where her and Chat had agreed to meet. When she gets close, she can see him sitting there, kicking his legs over the side of the roof and spinning around his baton in his hand.

How did she get so lucky to have such a patient partner?

She lands on the roof behind him and he doesn't even turn around to look at her as he says "glad you finally decided to show up M'lady." His voice doesn't sound as cheerful as usual, but she assumes it's because she was late.

She feels guilty for making him wait. She goes to sit beside him on the edge of the roof, "I'm really sorry kitty, I've had a lot on my mind today." It's not a good excuse, but maybe he'll understand.

"I know the feeling" He whispers quietly enough that she doesn't hear him. He then turns to look at her, she's not looking at him, she's looking out at the city. "Well I've done the patrol already, Paris is all good for the night" he tells her. She just nods, still not looking at him. "You wanna talk about it?"

Ladybug thinks for a second. Maybe it would be a good idea for her to get Chat Noir's thoughts on all of this. He's completely unbiased since they both don't even know each other's civilian identities, so maybe he'll have a different perspective on this?

She turns to him, "Well you see, there's this boy-" she starts before he cuts her off by saying "You mean the luckiest guy in the world to be near you bugaboo." She rolls her eyes at his words, but he's happy to see he got a little smile out of her.

His green eyes glow in the darkness, but the soft lights of the city cause them to sparkle a bit. She's never really taken the time to look at him before. He really was quite handsome and he had such caring eyes and a kind smile and... what was she saying! She needs to get this out of her head now! She shuts her eyes tightly for a second before continuing.

"Anyways, he went and told one of my friends who I've had problems with in the past to stay away from me and it was totally not his right to do that!"

Chat is a little taken back by the situation, it sounds really similar to what he's been dealing with himself. All teenagers really do go through the same things then huh?

He focuses on her again, "Well this friend must've done something pretty bad for the guy to tell them to stay away right"

"I mean yea.." she starts. Luka did cheat on her with Lila and then team up with Lila to bring her down, as well as he played with her feelings a lot. She shakes the thoughts out of her head, "but they apologized and we're ok now! Plus it still wasn't his right to go and do that! I can make my own decisions!" she continues.