The One Where He's Left at the Altar

Everyone I think compared to other people's one shots I write a whole ass book
This is like 4000 words wtf Hailey

-Triggers-

None!

----

Everyone rushed around, adjusting flower bouquets and putting finishing touches on hair updos and winged eyeliner. I stood in the middle of it all, silently pinning my white orchid boutonniere to the lapel of my suit jacket. Looking down at the ground made the hustle of the wedding party seem nonexistent for a solitary moment. I felt a hand on my shoulder, but i didn't have it in me to look up.

"Mon ami, I know this is hard for you. You didn't have to come."

I kept my gaze on the floor, closing my eyes and fists. "I had to. Alex wanted me to be here, be his best man, so I am."

"It'll be ok, I promise you." I looked back up from the ground, staring at Lafayette with a face of pure sadness. He looked at me sympathetically and pulled me into a hug.

I tried my hardest not to cry. I couldn't handle this, Laf was right. I should've just gone home to my crappy apartment, drowned myself in some strawberry ice cream, and watched the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. marriage episodes on HBO max. I should've gone to a lab and gotten my memory of Alex erased. I should've done literally anything but do what I was about to do.

"Three minutes everyone!" Peggy yelled excitedly.

Three minutes before my self esteem went down the sewage pipe.

"I'm here for you, ok? I don't know what you are going through but if you ever want to talk about anything, everything, nothing, just come get me."

"I know, Laf. Thank you," I whispered into his shoulder. He nodded his head and patted mine before running off to find his own husband.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. In for four...  and out for eight.

When I opened my eyes again, I saw Alex standing there.

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw.

"John, why are you taking deep breaths? I should be the nervous one!"

He smiled that smile that always turned my legs to jello.

"It's for both of us." I managed to get out.

"Well, there's no need to be nervous. You're my best man for a reason, you're here to keep me from running away." He took my hands in his and I felt faint.

"Thank you, John Laurens. Thank you so much." He pulled me into his arms and I scolded my cheeks for turning red. "Love you."

He would never mean it the way I wanted him to.

"L-love you too."

You can't fake love, it isn't possible. If you think you're good at faking love with someone, it's most likely because you actually love them in some form. But there was no possible way I could fake not being in love with Alexander Hamilton. He was my anchor. He was the thing that kept me sane, most of the time. As much as I wanted something to happen, he was in love with Eliza. They were engaged. Eliza was expecting. They were getting married in two minutes, for fucks' sake.

"PLACES EVERYONE!"

The wedding party got extremely excited, smiles across all faces and not a hint of worry. The maids of honor and the bridesmaids left to retrieve the bride, who would walk down the aisle in moments time.

Alex let go and smiled brightly at me before leaving for the altar. I stood for a second longer before leaving for my place next to one of the Maids of Honor.