7. Aftermath

Gia watched Elijah slaughter the werewolves one after the other. He was unstoppable. The wolves never stood a chance. They were foolish to even try. His family though was a different matter. They were powerful and Elijah was not only facing his brother but his mother as well. No matter how hard he fought, he was doomed to fail. And fail he did. His mother drove a stake through his heart and with her son to help her, she took him with her. Her cameras had recorded the whole thing.

Gia was in her safe house watching the recordings over and over again. She was furious with herself. Couldn't believe she had fallen for it. It was obvious now that it had all been a set up. The werewolves, the kids, they were all pawns in the same chessboard. Moved around by Esther to make her plan work. She had used all of them to trap Elijah. And now she had him. Dammit. How could she have been so blind? How could she have missed this? Elijah was suffering and it was all her fault. She should have known better. Should have been more careful. Anyway, it didn't matter now. What's done is done. No point in dwelling on things she couldn't change. Elijah was captured. There was nothing she could do to change that. She had to focus on his rescue instead. A rescue that was long overdue.

She followed the path Esther took through her cameras shifting from one image to another, watching her move till there was nothing left to see. Her sight was limited. The cameras she placed covered the biggest part of the city but not all of it. There were still places she did not have eyes on. And one of those places was exactly where Elijah was.

Gia closed the camera feed and hacked into the telecommunications network. Hopefully Esther hadn't thought of disabling Elijah's cell phone. She was an a thousand year witch after all. What the hell did she know about technology? Probably nothing. Gia was willing to bet on that. And where Esther lacked she excelled.

Gia managed to track down the signal from Elijah's cell and trace it back to its source, sort of. The signal was coming from a secluded area just outside the city but she did not know of its exact location. There was still a pretty big area she would have to search after she got there.

She arrived at the location about an hour later. It was a cold, foggy night and the area was consumed by trees. Yet, there was no sound, no movement to indicate there was anything left alive in there. The fog breached through the trees creating an eerie, haunting effect. It creeped her out. Gia made her way through the trees looking for Elijah.

It took her some time but she finally found him. There was a small wooden cabin among the trees. It seemed abandoned. Gia entered the cabin careful not to make a sound. Elijah was standing in the middle of the room, handcuffed to the wall. Two big chains kept him at his position, stopping him from escaping.

"Elijah." she called out to him "Elijah!"

There was no answer. Gia approached him and saw he was deep in his dreams. She tried to wake him up and when she saw she couldn't she realized this was not a normal sleep. Esther must have done something to him. She examined the room, searching for an answer, a way to release him and came up empty. First, she tried to break his chains but could not. For some reason the chains refused to break. She tried again putting all of her strength to that simple task. Still nothing.

Gia took a step back and looked at the chains. Time for a new course of action, she thought. This was a witch's act so maybe she needed a witch's help as well. She picked up her phone and once again she asked for her ex's assistance.

"Jason" she said as soon as he answered the phone "I need your help, again."

"What is it this time Gia?"

"A friend of mine is chained to the wall and I cannot break the chains to free him. Considering I am now a vampire that should be impossible. His captor's a witch..."