9. Farewell

Elijah was supervising the preparations, making sure everything was in order. The compound was almost ready. Chairs had been put to place, flowers covered the walls and two large stairs led to the altar. Everything was as it should be. Hayley was in her bedroom getting ready, as did the groom. The guests had begun to arrive and the wedding would soon begin.

This was the first time after centuries of bloodshed that their species came together not in war but in peace. Elijah only hoped it would last, not just for his sake but for Hope's as well.

He stood by his brother's side as the music started to play. Hayley entered the room followed by Jackson, her soon to be husband. They both moved up the stairs finally standing facing each other. They took vows of faith and commitment uniting their lives and solidifying the peace between their species. It was a beautiful ceremony and Hayley seemed content. Elijah hoped she really was. Jackson was a good man and given the chance he could truly make her happy, in a way he never could. They were never meant to be. Elijah realized it now although he doubted Hayley would agree. He could still see her face as he told her to marry Jackson. The pain in her eyes. It haunted him to this very day. Elijah knew he was doing the right thing though. He knew it then and he knew it now. This marriage was the best for both of them, for all of them. She might not be able to see it now but one day she would.

He saw her in the middle of the dance floor. It was the first time he saw her after their training session. She was wearing a short black dress and had her hair up in a messy bun. A long silver necklace hang around her neck. She was breathtaking. Elijah could not take his eyes from her. She was with Marcel. Dancing and laughing. Gia. Now that was a woman he could not wait to see again. He did not realize how much he missed her until now. Her rebellious spirit was refreshing. After living so many years there was not much that could still surprise him. Everything about her was a surprise. She made him feel young again. Elijah could not help but smile.

He approached her from behind, gently touching her shoulder.

"May I interrupt?" he softly asked.

Gia was not surprised to see him. She knew he'd be there. She was actually looking forward to seeing him again. She already knew he was well. Marcel had informed her of that. Still, she had to see it with her own eyes. She would not stop worrying until she did.

Gia turned around and met his gaze. He was wearing yet another black suit. How many of those did he have? And he was smiling.

"You seem to be well."

"I am actually. Thank you for your concern."

Gia felt her lips curve in to a smile.

"Would you dance with me?" Elijah asked her, ready to take her hand and lead her back into the dance floor.

"It depends. Are you any good at it?"

"The best."

"Now, why do I think you say this for almost about everything?"

Elijah's smile widened. Gia placed one hand on his shoulder and held his hand with the other. They did not speak. Just let the music guide them and allowed themselves to be drawn into the bliss of the moment.

"So, where have you been?" Gia finally asked. "I haven't seen you for days."

Elijah's mind flew back to his time with Hayley. He opened his mouth to speak then abruptly closed it again. Gia did not miss the gesture.

"Did I say something wrong?" she silently asked.

"No, it's just... No, you did not. I was preoccupied."

"With what?"

"There were things that needed my attention. I apologize for disappearing. I did not think you would be worried."

"I was not. Well, maybe a little concerned." Gia teased.

Elijah considered telling her about Hayley but quickly changed his mind. What good would that do? His personal relationships were not of Gia's concern. Or were they? Elijah met her eyes once again, never leaving her out of his sight.

They kept dancing. Bodies locked together, looking into each other's eyes, not saying a single word. They did not need to. Their bodies said everything that needed to be said. Rose petals fell from the ceiling and Gia laughed loudly. Elijah laughed as well. He couldn't help it. He hadn't laughed like that for ages. By the time the night was over he had already made his decision.

This had been his home for ages. The first place he could call home after a lifetime of running. He and his siblings had moved to the compound a century ago and even though they, at one point, abandoned it they had always considered it their home. But change was a part of life and maybe the time had finally come to leave this part of his life behind and look for a new better one. Tonight he would leave this house and move to Algiers with Gia, Marcel and the rest of the vampires in his community. It was time to stop running and accept himself for what he truly was. A vampire. A monster who fed on innocent people. That was not all he was but it was a big part of him. A part he denied for too long and one he could not deny any longer. Change was inevitable and sometimes it was for the best. You leave one part of your life behind and a better one comes to take its place.