14. Alliance

Gia jumped out of bed screaming. Her voice echoed through the night carrying the horror that filled her mind and the shape of a man in her blurring vision. Danny, his memory haunted her even now, tormenting her with everlasting guilt. The dreams had faded these last few months but tonight they came back with vengeance.

Her heart was racing, beating in an unsteady rhythm caused by the still remaining terror of her dream. Gia inhaled deeply and tried to calm herself down. Her eyelids dropped and she tried to empty her mind. No use. She could still see him, still smell and taste him. He was locked inside her mind, heart and soul and she was unable to open the lock and set him free.

A small sound echoed from her side and Gia abruptly opened her eyes. She turned to face its source and froze on sight, unable to comprehend what she was seeing. For a moment she thought her nightmares had come to life. Danny, her beloved husband, standing a few feet away from her with darkness in his eyes. Ready to strike her down. Her mind knew he would never blame her for what happened but her heart refused to believe it. Then her mind suddenly cleared and the curtains that blocked her vision fell. Within a moment, she could see perfectly clear.

It was Elijah standing there half shrouded in darkness, his eyes just as dark, detached. He watched her for a minute, studying her then he approached her slowly. He raised his arms and dragged her into a strong embrace. Gia stiffened to the touch.

"It is alright." He said to her. "You are here. You are safe. Whatever this is, let it go. I am here for you."

It took a while before his voice penetrated her walls and for the words to sink in.

"Elijah?" she whispered, her voice trembling.

Elijah tightened his hold.

"It is ok. I am here for you. I will always be here."

Gia fell back to his chest and allowed herself to relax a little. She felt safe, protected. Danny faded into the night and Gia felt herself strengthen. The nightmares were pushed back to the background and the light reached her aching soul.

"How long have you been here?" she asked. "Why are you here?"

"For you. Why else? I was on my way to my bedroom when I heard you. You were shifting in bed, turning over and over again and I could hear your heart racing. I was worried. You woke up just as I came into the room but you were too distressed to notice me. Do you want to tell me what happened? What you saw?"

"It was my husband." Gia said with a trembling voice. "It was the day of his death. It was my fault. All of this is my fault."

"Gia, look at me." Elijah cupped her face and looked deep into her eyes. "None of what is happening is your fault. Do you understand me?"

"But...."

"None of it."

"I'm the reason he died Elijah. You don't know what that's like."

"Don't I? Gia, If anyone knows how you feel that is me."

"What do you mean?"

"I have been alive for a long time and I have done things. Things that could be considered evil. And there were things I could have done. People I could have saved but I did not and they paid the price for it. And I've lost people too. People that mattered to me. I betrayed them, left them alone to face my enemies, my psychotic brother. And it wasn't only for a few years like you but centuries and centuries of reliving that same circle of pain, betrayal and violence. I know how you feel Gia. I have been there. I have been you and believe me when I say this; none of what has happened is your fault."