8. Treasure Hunt

Gia was in Italy. She had finally managed to crack the code which had led her straight to Rome. Curtis's data had helped, a lot. As it turned out, the binary code concealed the coordinates of the place she was now headed, latitude and longitude.

Gia drove towards the hills watching the scenery change as she went along. Small towns and villages changed to rural farmland and the land became more rugged, the trees lessened till very few remained. Gia stopped the car and followed an almost invisible path to a very deep canyon. An old wooden bridge stretched across it. She cautiously approached it and took a closer look at the bridge. Gia knelt and examined the planks, pulling the rope on the sides. Then she tested the first plank with her foot, putting her weight on it. Not in the best condition she thought but not in the worst either. It should be safe enough for her to cross. But just in case...

Gia pulled a coil of rope out of her bag and tied it to a tree nearby. Then she tied the other end around her waist and carefully crossed the bridge. When she reached the other side she untied herself and moved forward, towards the castle. She could see it now. It was placed upon a hill about three hours walk from where she stood, according to her estimations. She should be able to reach it before the sun went down this very day.

The castle was three stories tall, with towers rising at each end. It was covered with vines. Beyond it, she could see a garden with fountains and statues all around. They were representing knights. The garden had flourished. There were flowers everywhere, trees at every corner. It was a mesmerizing sight.

Gia moved towards the entrance of the castle and felt a shiver pass through her as she entered inside. This place... It felt alive, like the spirits of those who once lived here had remained keeping it safe. Protecting it from the outside world. And who knew? Maybe they had. The legend did say it was haunted after all.

She entered the castle and turned on her flashlight. It took her hours to search the entire place. She found what she was looking for in a room on the third floor. The last room of the castle. She was about to give up when she saw it. The same circular design that was on the necklace, carved on the wall. Gia pressed the sign and a section of the wall swung open. A narrow passageway lay behind it. Gia stepped inside and followed the steps leading to the top of the tower.

There was another room there, hidden from sight. Two statues stood outside the entrance, one on each side. Knights again. Gia stepped into the room and stood still. She could not believe her eyes. The room was filled with treasure. Suits of armor, chain mail, weapons, scrolls, gold figures... There was even a crown. A huge round table was placed in the middle of the floor. Thirteen ornate chairs surrounded it. They were old, she suspected. Gia moved around the room touching the items. There was so much history there. She couldn't believe no one had ever found it before. Gold coins were everywhere, even a gold statue. It stood at the other end of the room. This one seemed to represent Merlin. A long silver necklace hang around its neck. It had a huge red stone in the middle surrounded by the sign she had recently grew so accustomed to.

Gia moved closer to the statue, eyes fixated on the necklace. She lifted her hand to touch it and stopped mid air. It couldn't be that easy, she thought. There had to be a catch. Gia took a step back and examined her surroundings. She was particularly interested in the drawings on the wall. Gia was willing to bet they were drawn by the same artist that drew the painting in the museum.

They portrayed the necklace and a tomb. There was a binary code in these drawings as well followed by a triskelion sign. Gia took some photos of the drawings and shifted her attention back to the necklace. She looked for anything out of place. Anything that could reveal the trap protecting the relic. She found nothing. No indication of a trap what so ever. But she knew better than that. These things were always protected, especially an artifact as powerful as this. Perhaps a spell was at place. Merlin was a wizard wasn't he?

She moved even closer, eyeing the necklace and the area around it when she heard them. Voices coming from the lower levels of the castle. Getting closer as time went by. Gia could not afford to waste any more time. She grabbed the necklace and run for the door as the ground beneath her feet started to shake.

Elijah was sitting in a chair across the bed watching her. Hayley was still on the bed deep asleep. Elijah did not understand how they came to this. He'd always had feelings for Hayley, since the first day he laid eyes upon her, but he never dared to do anything about it. Her connection to his brother prevented him. Yet, here he was. He should be pleased, happy instead he felt uncomfortable. It felt wrong. This whole time they were together he felt distant, disconnected. His body was there but his mind was elsewhere. And he could not get that voice out his head.

"I knew you'd come back to me."

What the hell was that all about? Who was this woman? Was she even real? Elijah could not make any sense of it. He kept replaying the scene in his head, the vision he saw, trying very hard to understand it. Did he know this woman? Could his vision be real? Could it have really happened? Elijah could not be sure.

Hayley shifted beneath the sheets catching Elijah's attention. Her eyes slowly opened, searching from him. Elijah saw what she was doing and stated his position.

"I am here." He said to her.

"What are you doing over there?" Elijah saw the surprised look on her face, heard the surprise in her voice. She expected him to be beside her. Yet, he was not. Hayley was disappointed. He could see that. And she was going to be disappointed even more.

"Hayley" he started not sure how to continue "Hope's safety is above all." he finally said. "And this marriage could secure this. This bonding ritual you've mentioned... It could unite your people under your leadership. Hope would have an army to protect her. And she could finally return to us, to you." He emphasized the last word.

"What are you saying?" she asked him, eyes never leaving his.

"Marry Jackson. Unite your people and bring your daughter home. I in my turn will unite the vampires. Together we could bring peace to our home. Make it a safe place for her to return to."

"But..." Hayley started to protest.

"Family is above all." Elijah cut her off. "Hope is our main concern at the moment. As she should be. Nothing else matters. Marry Jackson." he said once more. Elijah had made up his mind. He might not know his own feelings right now but the one thing he was certain of was Hope. And he would do anything to protect his niece. Anything. Elijah left the room not wanting to discuss this anymore, leaving a heartbroken Hayley behind.

Gia had barely made it out of the castle. The tower collapsed a second after she exited it, half the castle was in ruins. The men were dead. Gia had heard their screams before they died. They never stood a chance. She'd be dead as well if not for her vampire speed. Looks like dying had actually saved her life. Quit ironic really.

She looked around looking for any signs of life. There was none. There didn't seem to be any more men in the area but she wasn't willing to risk it. She was in the open and she did not like it, not one bit. Gia took the way back, necklace at hand. If Phoenix wanted it he'd have to come and get it himself. Until then... New Orleans was awaiting and she had an Original vampire she wanted to check on.