6. Lies & Delusions

Gia returned to the compound unaware of Elijah's capture. She headed towards the fridge, opened it up and poured herself some blood. With everything that had happened this day she hadn't found the time to eat yet. The thirst was killing her. Marcel was still out there, making sure the children were safe, but he would soon return. There was nothing left for him to do. In the meantime she would enjoy the silence. Solitude was hard to come by these days.

She sat on the couch, sipping her blood and trying very hard to figure out what the hell happened today. Things moved so fast she hadn't had the time to process them yet. From Elijah's arrival to the rescue of the kids, everything was mixed in her brain as one. One event overlapping the other. She had to put everything in order.

The rescue in itself was easy. No surprises there. Well, maybe a little one. Elijah's persistence on her protection detail was annoying to say the least. He had strongly insisted she wasn't ready for this, therefore she was in dire need of a bodyguard. Marcel rushed in to fill in the spot. Like she could ever be in need of a bodyguard. Sure, he didn't know about her. She had to play it weak in their training session, inexperienced. But her job was only to distract the guards not confront them. Shift their focus from the children to her. He was seriously overreacting. Gia could not wait for all of this to be over with. Then she would show him what she was really capable of. Gia smiled at the prospect.

Her smile faded a moment later as their training session invaded her memory. What the hell was that? She still couldn't believe it. They had kissed. Well, sort of. How could that have happened? She recalled everything. Carefully examined every move, every touch, every action and she still couldn't find the answer to that.

His arrival was a surprise to her. Despite his promise she hadn't seen him for days and there he was, coming out of nowhere, acting like he owned the place. All she could do was stare. The superiority he felt towards them was incomprehensible. Seriously, where did that come from? He mostly acted like a well mannered gentlemen which was a nice change. Men these days usually acted like pigs. They could really use some tips. But this I'm above all of you act was infuriating.

And then there was their training session. Things had totally gone out of hand there. They had started easy with Elijah using basic music terms to instruct her. Teach her. She liked that. No one had ever used that approach with her before. It was original. Of course, her instructors weren't usually involved with music either. After he showed her some basic moves he decided it was time for them to pick up the pace. He had progressively challenged her and Gia thought the time had come to show some progress. She slammed him onto the cold wall behind him, finally taking the upper hand. Gia could tell he was enjoying it. And to be fair, so did she. And then the scenery changed.

She was still dazed by the experience. His voice full of soft emotion as he asked her to choose. The head or the heart? The question echoed in her mind. His trust touched her. She knew he was an original. One of the most powerful beings to ever walk this earth. But she was practically holding his heart in her hand. What if she crushed it? Pulled it out of his body, separating him of the one thing he needed to survive. The head or the heart? He needed both of them to live, didn't he? Could he really survive without one of them? Gia seriously doubted that. Still, she was new to the vampire world and Elijah was a whole different league of vampire. I mean, he couldn't really trust her that much now could he? He barely knew her.

Her logic though didn't work much at the time. All she knew was she was holding his still beating heart in her palm, feeling the rhythm in which it beat. Her body was filled with adrenaline. Her heart warmed up at the trust he showed her and when she looked into his eyes. God, those eyes. She felt lost inside its depths. She hadn't even realized they were kissing until Hayley interrupted them.