15. Without Hope

Mikael was disoriented, walking through the trees in a haze. He could feel his temperature rising and his body burn. The mark was painfully carved into his forehead and he could feel the heat emanating from it in waves. Pain was coming and going and his vision begun to blur till it settled in a more clear more concentrated way. His hearing became more acute. His sense of smell increased and he could feel his strength increase. The power running through his veins limitless.

A small rabbit run through the woods in a distance. Mikael watched it move away zooming in on the details. Its body, its shape, he could even see the hair its body was covered with. There was a mark on its right leg. The moment Mikael thought of it, it became clear; his vision zooming in for a closer look. It was from a hunter's trap the rabbit somehow escaped. The mark was covered in blood. The same blood that now reached his senses and made his teeth lengthen. He caught it in an instant and sunk his teeth into its neck replenishing his strength. It was all instinctive. Mikael barely knew what he was doing like an out-of-body experience watching it all from a far. Was this even his own body? He didn't know any more and he didn't care either. There was only one thing that mattered. One thing calling to him above all, his sons and how best to kill them all.

Back in the compound Elijah was trying to locate Phoenix. He was frustrated. He knew something was about to happen. He could feel it deep in his bones. A restlessness he could not pinpoint.

"Calm down, Elijah. We'll find him. No reason to fuss about it."

"I do not believe you fully understand the gravity of the situation, brother."

"An unknown enemy, a magical object that I would very much like to possess and our father. Tell me if I forgot something." Klaus gave him a flashing smile. "Relax brother. Everything will be fine. We will win this battle just like every other battle before that. The only question here is when."

"I am glad you are enjoying yourself, Niklaus."

"Well, I do have to admit I was getting kind of bored around here. After out mother's untimely demise things have been way too calm for my tastes." Klaus kept smiling. "And if this new enemy of yours brings us our father then I guess we should thank him for that. Father has well past his expiration date and I would very much like to send him back to the hell he came from."

"Do not underestimate him brother. You of all people know how dangerous our father can be."

"And yet he died, by my hands I might add. An act I would be very pleased to repeat."

Elijah ignored him and turned to look at Gia. She was sitting in a nearby chair currently focused on the task at hand. With the laptop on her lap she was scanning the area for her nemesis, checking the camera feeds over and over again.

"Nothing." She protested closing the screen. "There's no sign of him. Damn."

"Easy Gia. Calm down. Do not let your temper get the best of you."

"Where the hell can he be? He can't just have disappeared."

"We will find him. This I promise you."

Gia gave him a wistful look as the ground beneath them begun to shake.

"What the hell? What is that? What's happening?"

Elijah looked at his brother with the same confused expression on his face as Gia had. Klaus went in full alert.

The door of the compound swung open and a tall figure stepped in. Mist surrounded the building isolating it from the world. Klaus looked at his father in terror. He was dressed in black. The ever present mark on his forehead glowing in the dark. His eyes two black holes of inconceivable depth.