5. Training session

Two days had passed since his promise to help her. To teach her. She hadn't seen him since nor did she want to. Being close to Elijah had its advantages but she had things to do and she needed some privacy to do them. No one could find out about her real motives. What she came here to do. She seriously doubted Elijah had any connection to Phoenix whatsoever but she couldn't take the risk. He had yet to earn her trust.

Gia was on the phone all day long, gathering information. First task of the day: finding out who Curtis Rogers was and what his connection with Francesca was. Did Phoenix even know about his involvement or he didn't bother checking out who Francesca was working with as long as she brought results?

Gia trusted her FBI friend, Derek, to gather the necessary information. The attack on the museum was his case after all. And he was good at his job. Real good. What he found out only verified her suspicions. Phoenix was on a treasure hunt. But for what? What object could be that important that he would get involved with? It wasn't like he needed the money. He had plenty of them to go around. Phoenix wanted power, control. He enjoyed making life altering decisions for other people. Usually for the worst. Taking people's lives. What greater power was there than the ability to control life and death? Gia had a very bad feeling about this.

The information her friend had gathered wasn't much but it gave her a place to start. Curtis Rogers was a history professor at the Yale University for the past 20 years. He lost his job a year ago under curious circumstances. His colleges said he was distracted for the past year. Obsessed with king Arthur and the Round table. He was particularly interested in Merlin, Arthur's magician. According to their claims, his obsession started after an educational trip they made to the Smithsonian museum around that time. They didn't notice any change in him at first but slowly his obsession begun affecting his work. That's when they realized that something was off. They tolerated him at first, hoping it was just a passing fling. When they realized it was not, they showed him the door. After that, there was not much information about him. Only that he spent a considerable amount of time at the National Gallery of the Smithsonian museum. The same building his body was found.

Derek searched his house for any clues that might lead to his killer but it was wiped clean by the time he got there. All the evidence had been destroyed. Curtis's research was either destroyed or taken by his assassin. Probably taken. Phoenix hadn't found what he was looking for yet. Curtis's call to Francesca was proof of that. And he wasn't going to. She would find it before he did. And she knew exactly where to start looking. The National Gallery of the Smithsonian museum. She just had to find a way to get there without raising suspicion. No one in the city had to know she was gone.

Gia returned to Marcel's compound only to find herself in the middle of an assault. The werewolves had breached their perimeter. One vampire had already fallen on his knees, bitten. Marcel stood in front of him, facing their leader. They were lead by a tall, white man with dark brown hair and clear blue-green eyes.

"I don't know who the hell you are," Marcel turned to their leader "but we had a deal. Vampires stay out of the Quarter, everybody's cool."

"It's not good enough anymore." their leader responded.

"Yeah? Says who? You? Or that witch you all answer to now? Lenore right?"

Marcel's question seemed to make him nervous. He must not have liked their current condition very much. Wolves were free spirits. And Gia was willing to bet the same went for the werewolves. Of course, she'd heard what happened to Lenore. Being taken over by Esther's spirit. She couldn't imagine how that must be like for her. A prisoner inside her own body. Perhaps she needed to take some precautions just in case. The last think she wanted was to end up in the same situation. Or worse. It was a shame really. Lenore was a good woman. She had only met her a few times but her instinct was never wrong. She felt sorry for her.