CHAPTER 47

"I love it! I must admit that you have very good taste ... although I realized it when you started flirting with me" said Alex giving me a wink as she looked at the Christmas decorations that we had put around the new apartment. Early Sunday we arrived from St. Augustine to meet the moving company in the afternoon to finally get everything out of my old apartment, I must admit that when I saw it empty I felt a lump in my throat, I always feel a little queasy to let go of things and not because I am materialistic but because I think that I leave part of myself in everything that I use and in all the years that I had spent in this department I had left giant pieces of myself, but well I just hope it is my old self, so In honor of Mary Kondo, I thanked it for all the time it served me and let it go.

"Yes, it looks nice, I think we should leave it like this at least until March, Christmas will be here in a week and it took too much work to take the decorations off in a month" I said in a bad mood, dropping on the sofa, I was exhausted, I have been unpacking and fixing around since Sunday night and every other night this week, today was finally Friday and I made Alex promise to finish everything tonight, and so it was already 2 in the morning.

"Here you go" she said handing me a glass of my favorite red wine "And I'm not going to take it personally that you're in a bad mood just when we've finished putting everything in order, in our first place, for our first Christmas together" she said sitting down next to me.

"I'm sorry baby, you're right and I'm happy, I am, but I'm also super tired, tomorrow I have to go to the hotel for a few hours for a meeting and we still have to buy some presents" I said complaining with my head on Alex's shoulder.

"Ok, let's go to bed" she said wanting to get up, but I raised my hand so she wouldn't move.

"No, wait ..." I grabbed her arm and draped it over my shoulders, I put my legs over her lap and snuggled into her chest as she hugged me and gently stroked my back "Mmm, this is perfect" I mumbled as I breathed her aroma, it was actually a perfect moment, the only light that accompanied us was the colorful little lights of the Christmas tree, this was my favorite season, my favorite holiday, the apartment looked beautiful with all the decorations and everything smelled new, and I was in the arms of the woman I loved, with whom I was going to have my own family, while she gave me kisses on the head, nothing could be better than this moment.

A few hours later, after 2 cups of coffee, I was finishing my meeting with the suppliers that I had scheduled, I wanted to leave everything ready to go to Seattle on Thursday and not have to be so aware of my emails solving unforeseen events, I wanted, on the contrary, keep an eye out for Louise and her hospitality with Alex. Every time I thought about the days we were going to spend at my parents' house, something felt funny in my stomach. Dad had called to reconfirm our arrival day and asked if we were going to stay until the end of the year, I had said no, I told him that I had to come back to work because Alex was listening to our conversation, but I actually had something else planned. That day we almost had a fight because she told me that I was a workaholic and that it wasn't fair that I couldn't dedicate a week to the family, I told her what I heard many times when I was in college: 'You will always have to work when the rest of the world is on vacation'. What she didn't know was that I was unwilling to share her with my family for a whole week.

I was getting out of the elevator at the end of my meeting when something caught my eye, it was Alex and Danna sitting at a table on the balcony and beckoning to me.

"Hey you, I didn't know you were coming" I said to Alex giving her a kiss, she was radiant as if she had not gone to bed at 3 and went out for a run at 7, I would never understand how her body worked. "Hi Danna" I said passing my hand over her shoulder.

"Hey you" Alex said, opening the chair for me to sit down. "I thought we could go get lunch and then go Christmas shopping" she said wrinkling her nose, she knew I want nothing more than to go home and sleep.